Something Exciting Is On The Horizon

I have no idea what's going on with Noah..but something is. And I'm really getting excited about it.

You know that tingling feeling of anticipation that you sometimes get? I don't know.. maybe it's the same feeling that little kids get the night before Christmas. I can't really explain it. But I feel very excited - like something is about to happen but I don't know what. I can't put my finger on it, but I just know that something is going on with Noah.

Last night, he threw a big fit at church. Now, most people wouldn't be doing high-5's with their husband over that, but I couldn't wait to get home and tell Simeon all about it. Because Noah doesn't throw fits. He doesn't. He's always good as gold - which is really abnormal for a 6 year old. Throwing fits is normal. And Noah threw one. He threw a big one.

So. He was in his Pioneer Club class and I was sitting on the floor with him while the other kids were around the table. No big deal. The goal for me is to get Noah to just stay in the room - even if it means he sits on the floor next to me spinning the wheels of a huge Fisher Price dump truck. And that's what he did.

I had his little lesson book in my lap and was reading it to him and helping him find the verse in Psalms. Miss Linda, the teacher, was explaining to the kids how to look up Psalms - and that the P is silent - so I went over that with Noah and he actually paid attention. He did really good for the most part, but then he decided that he'd had enough and he wanted to leave the room and go wandering (he likes to hang out on the stage next to the guitars). And I wouldn't let him. Well, that made him mad. So I had to take him to the bathroom and give him a talking to.

Basically, I told him that I know he's smart and I know he knows what's going on. I told him that we're not doing this anymore. He needs to sit with his friends and pay attention to the lesson - that he's not getting away with this anymore.

And do you know what he did??

He started sobbing and wailing.

That's good!!! Because that means he understood what I said. He knows that there are consequences for his behavior. He knows he can't use autism as an excuse. He knows that we have high expectations of him... and he doesn't like it.

How typical is that???!!!! That's awesome!!

I had to take him to the bathroom twice, but after the second time, he sat in the classroom and didn't make a peep. He stayed in the classroom. He lined up with his class at the end, and he sat in my lap with all the other kids during the closing.

It means that something's happening with him. I don't know what it is - but this was a breakthrough.

All along, we thought that Noah was severely mentally delayed. Then, RPM showed us that he's got a fully functioning brain in a mis-wired body. He knows exactly what's going on, but can't coordinate his body to do what his brain is telling it. He can't dress or undress himself. He can't color or eat with a fork. He can't wash his face. But yesterday, something happened. Somehow, the words I spoke to him actually got through to him and he understood them. And his feelings were hurt. He was mad. And he had an appropriate response to it. (He also hit me several times on the arm in anger). That's actually good. It was normal, typical behavior. A normal, typical response. I mean, yeah, it wasn't nice. I didn't appreciate getting screamed at or have my arm get slugged... but it was normal. Somehow... for those few minutes... his brain and his body were able to coordinate.

What if this is only the beginning?

Last night... he also put his head through his pajamas and stuck his arms through the sleeve. He also tried to pull up his pants. He sat and listened while I read him a story. This is amazing!!

Anyway, I'm just rambling and not making much sense... but I just had to somehow try to put my excitement down on paper.

Nandini is tugging at my arm right now, so I need to finish this up. But I'll keep you all posted about any new developments.

Have a good week!
Leslie

Comments

Cherie said…
Awesome!!! I wanted to tell you Thursday night that I have noticed how much more frequently he is making and holding eye contact with me and others. I'm hardly around y'all but I have noticed changes. This is so exciting! Go Noah!!!
Cherie said…
Laurel also said that Thursday night she went into your bedroom to say hi to Noah and wasn't going to stay because she knew that I would be mad that she was hanging out in your room. She said that when she went in Noah grabbed her by the arm like he didn't want her to leave...so despite knowing that I might be mad she stayed with him to visit! I wasn't mad of course...I was excited that she was paying enough attention to see the ques.
C said…
wow. Wow! WOW!!!
Dreama said…
How Great and Amazing!! This is so wonderful!!! Hey, I know some other kids that really need to be taken to the RR and have a talking to...You up for it????
This is great news!!!
Mike said…
The way I see it is of two things has happened,

1. God is rewarding you for turning Noah over to Him.

2. Noah read your blog evolution of a Eli tantrum and decided to goive it a try himself...

I like number one better and I praise God for the work He is going to do in your whole family.
Anonymous said…
That's really, really exciting, Leslie! Keep us posted!!! That's really cool and I'm sure Noah also knows how fortunate he is to be part of your family. Take care, Geri
Anonymous said…
Praise the Lord! I can just imagine how excited you are. Noah is so loving and such a wonderful guy! We are thrilled with you!!
Amy said…
YAH NOAH!!!! (and YAH mommy!) I'm so excited for you guys! Love, Amy

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!