The Green Smoothie Challenge

So. We are on Day 6 of The Green Smoothie Challenge. Sara, over at Happy Foody started a 3o-Day Green Smoothie Challenge - and I signed up for it. Hmmmm.... nothing like having a couple of handfuls of spinach and kale added to your daily dose of fruit. Yum!

Okay... not so yum. I mean, yes.. but no. As much as I get on here spouting off about how we need to eat organic and eat locally grown foods, yada yada yada... I love my chocolate. And my pasty, white bread. And my white sugar. And my instant white rice. I know it's not good for me. I KNOW it's not good for Noah - and even have the tests to prove it. But it is hard, hard, hard to do. It just is.

So, anyway, my gut is just not in a good shape. It's grumbling, growling.. and pretty much growing. Sometimes, it feels like a pack of aliens have taken up residence there. And the thing is... I know how good I feel when I eat healthy foods. So, I've bitten the bullet. I'm doing the 30-day challenge.

Here's how it goes:

You drink 16oz of a green smoothie at least once a day - preferably for breakfast.

That's it. That's all. But it's also recommended that you exercise at least once a day (ack! yuck! blech!), cut out all white sugar (noooooooooooooooooo!) add a salad to either lunch or breakfast (but didn't I just drink a whole salad with my smoothie??) and cut out all cokes (that's pop and soda for all you non-Texans).

So far, I'm doing good with the cokes because I don't drink soft drinks. As for the exercise, I wonder if bending over and picking up 500 crayons scattered all over the living room counts. Because I do it at least twice a day. Salad... well, I just drink another smoothie before bedtime. White sugar... eh... I'm doing better. Much better. But haven't completely cut it out. I did go to my parent's yesterday and found their secret stash of Whoppers. Enough said.

But the thing is that I'm actually starting to crave fruits right now. I'm actually contemplating waking up Nandini so that I can dump all the smoothie contents in my Vitamix and turn that baby on. It's loud and will definitely wake her up since her room is next to the kitchen. And that girl would be so mad if I drank a smoothie without her. She actually confiscates mine. Little stinker. She loves them.. which is really good.

As for Noah... not so much. I've heard you have to put something in a front of a kid about 30 times before they actually taste it... so we've got 24 more days before maybe he'll let it pass his lips. It would be soooooo good for him. Honestly, he doesn't eat fruit and vegetables. I'm not sure how he survives. We know exactly what he's sensitive to... we know what he can't eat... but he's do darn picky that we have a hard time feeding him. Why is that every other child in the world will try a smoothie except mine??? What exactly is with that?

Now, Eli. Hmmm... he cracks me up. He loves fruit. Could live off it... but he wasn't so sure about trying juice that was green. So, I told him it was a Shrek smoothie. He hated it. So the next day, I added more spinach and called it a Donkey smoothie (we're slowly working our way through the characters of the Shrek movies). Nope.. didn't like it. So, the next day, I added two cups of spinach and he drank it. He loved it. (Yeah... that goes to show you that my kids are a little on the quirky side). Anyway, he asked me if it was a "Piss in Boots" Smoothie.

A what???

Then I realized that the poor little guy has a teeny tiny little speech impediment and meant to say "Puss in Boots" smoothie... because Puss in Boots is the cat character in Shrek. So, yeah, I said it's a Puss in Boots smoothie. Well... because it's a bit of a mouthful, he decided to shorten it to a "piss smoothie". And in his sweet little head he's imagining the cat character from Shrek. And in my not-so-sweet head, I am imagining something completely different and start to gag now everytime I drink my smoothie.

So, in case Eli happens to tell any of you that "I love my piss drink" (as - with all his 4 year old sweet innocence - he told me the other day), you know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the vulgarity of it. But I'd rather get it right out in the open than to have to see your shocked expression if he happens to mention it to you and you didn't have fair warning.

For those who are interested, here's the contents of our "Puss in Boots" smoothie:

1 ripe banana
some Dole Frozen Fruit (from the mixed fruit bag in the freezer section a Walmart)
2 cups of spinach
2 cups of water.

Put it in the vitamix and blend the heck out of it until you can't tell that you're actually about to drink blended spinach juice. So, we're not really doing a smoothie, we're doing juice. I tried the thick smoothie and just gagged. I felt I was on Fear Factor or something.

So there you have it!

Leslie

Comments

Mike said…
I'll never look at a smoothie the same way again. Great post....
sandwichinwi said…
Leslie, PLEASE won't you be my neighbor????? I'm so glad I didn't have any Piss Drink in my mouth when I read this post because it gave me a chuckle. And I don't need no Piss in Boots on my keyboard!

Blessings,
Sandwich

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!