Cool Things You Can Do From Home

You know how I was on here last week blogging about how I really wanted to do something to make a difference, but didn't know how to do it - especially as a SAHM with three young ones? Well, I've learned about a few websites that I think are absolutely amazing - and everyone can help make a difference by checking them out.

The first is Free Rice . I may be the last person on earth to find out about it, so this may be old news to everyone else. It's a really cool site that gives vocabulary quizzes and they donate 20 grains of rice for every word you get right to the United Nations World Food Program. As of yesterday, they've been able to donate 20,995,554,610 pounds of rice to help feed needy people around the world. It's so simple - can you believe it? It's really a lot of fun, too. I wish I'd had this program around when I was studying for the GRE umpteen years ago... would've made all that studying not quite so painful!

The second site is actually based off the freerice.com site. It's estimated that there needs to be $195 billion dollars a year to end world disease and hunger. 22 developed countries have pledged to give 0.7% (less than 1%) of their national income to help raise the $195 billion needed - but the U.S. has only agreed to give 0.15% - we are at the very bottom of the list. To learn more about this and how you can send a pre-written printable letter to the White House urging the U.S. to become a leader in fighting global hunter and poverty, click here.

A site that my friend Tristan turned me on to is CoolPeopleCare- because, you know, we're just soooooo cool. :-) I love this site! You can subscribe for free and each day they'll send you a short email about something that you can do that day to help make a difference in the world. It's their daily 5 minutes of caring email. Today's email encourages you to visit GlobalRichList.com so that you can enter in your yearly salary and see how it stacks up to people around the world. It really puts things in perspective. I wish I'd known about this site back when I was complaining around Christmas time about not having any money. It will humble you, that's for sure.

I hope these sites touch you as much as they did me.

Now... if any of you know any sites on how to keep moms from losing their sanity as their children break out in World War III each morning... please send them my way. I'm begging you!

Leslie

Comments

Amy said…
You are awesome Leslie! Thanks for the great info! :0) Amy
Buddy said…
Leslie here is a site that I have found where in just a few minutes a day you can save the earth from countless hoards of invading aliens:

http://www.neave.com/games/invaders/game.php

Good luck...we're all counting on you for the safety of the planet.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!