Green Smoothie Challenge: Day 10

Yesterday was Day 10 of the Green Smoothie Challenge.. and on Day 10 something miraculous happened. I ate a salad for supper. A salad! Me! Eating a salad! And actually choosing it for my dinner!

Wowzers.

I have such a bad habit of making my kids eat things that I would never eat. Like cucumbers and tomatoes. Or carrot sticks. Or fresh fruit. And then I'd feel smug knowing that I was a good mom because my kids (with the exception of Noah) were eating fruits and veggies... and then I'd scamper off to the pantry and sneak in bites of corn chips.

Oh, the shame!!

Even when I was vegan, I subsisted off of spaghetti and chips and salsa. Not exactly the poster child for healthy eating. But, yesterday, on Day 10, for some unknown reason, I actually craved a salad for supper. That's all I wanted. Just some mixed greens, some spinach, a chopped cucumber (!), some raw sunflower seeds, cracked pepper, sea salt, and Braggs Vinaigrette. That's it. And you know what... it was the best meal I've ever had. Seriously. I LOVED IT.

Sim was cracking up... like, really cracking up over the look of utter surprise on my face. He couldn't believe I was in shock over eating a bowl of salad. His exact words .. between gasping for air from laughing so hard.... were, "You're acting like you just ate a bowl of dog turd. It's just salad."

Yeah, nothing like the image of eating a bowl of dog turd to ruin the most exciting moment of my life.

Thanks, babe.

But, seriously, this is a mega moment for me. And afterwards, I drank a Blue Smoothie. Still technically green because it had 2 cups of spinach in it - but instead of adding some fruit from the Dole Mixed Fruit bag, I added about a cup of blueberries and it turned blue. Delicious!! Eli and Nandini couldn't get enough. Nandini even threw a fit when she realized it was all gone. And Noah... Noah drank 6 sips of it!!! Tiny, baby, sips... but sips nonetheless. Oh my goodness. Can you imagine if he starts drinking the smoothies and actually gets fruit and veggies in his diet? This would be a major, major breakthrough.

Very cool evening last night. Very cool.

So, now, we've got to go back to the store and get more blueberries. And, who knows, maybe I'll even get brave enough to add other fruits in. And maybe some kale instead of spinach. Not sure about that one, though, although people say it's great.

I'm also getting so excited about fruit picking season because there are a few blueberry farms not to far from hear. I'm having visions of stocking a deep freezer full of blueberries.

Yeah, I know. I know. One salad does not make me a recovered chocoholic. But at least I'm excited about it.

And, yes, I'm going to just say it. I will probably have chips and cookies at Life Group tonight - and coffee with artificial hazlenut creamer. I'm a big enough person to admit I have some major hypocritical tendencies. But I'm trying. That's good, right?

But this is the best thing.. and I'll leave you with this. You know that flab that hangs over when you curl up in fetal position to fall asleep? Surely you know what I'm talking about. That blubber that just flops over and makes you gasp, "Where on God's green earth did that come from??" If you don't have it... then I highly suspect that you still have the words "teen" added to your age or you're no longer sportin' the original body that God gave you (hello, plastic surgery) or you're just genetically blessed and I hate you. But if you know exactly what I'm talking about, then just know that spinach must be some magic whale blubber zapper because that flab is slowly shrinking. It is! I don't even weigh myself anymore. I just curl up in fetal position and see how much belly flap touches the sheet... because it's not supposed to hang over and touch the sheet, is it? And you know what? You can't always tell if it's there when you stand up - it's very deceiving. But just lay down in fetal position for a moment and see if you suddenly exclaim, "Oh my gosh, what the heck is THAT????". If you do... then you've got the whale blubber.

Anyway, a bit too much information... but if that's not enough to motivate you then I don't know what is. So grab yourself some spinach and start blending. Give it 10 days and then just try to tell me that it didn't change your life.

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!