Rediscovering My Roots.... And I Don't Mean My Hair

Let's face it. I'm a bad Southerner.

I don't watch Nascar. I prefer drinking water over Dr. Pepper & Ice Tea. And the only reason I know who Tony Romo is is because he's dating Jessica Simpson and I've seen pictures of them together on People.com.

He plays for the Stars, right?

Can ya'll just hold on a second while I make sure my doors and windows are locked? I think the Southern Police might be coming to evict me from the great state of Texas and I want to make sure I finish this blog post first.

Where was I? Oh yeah. I'm a bad, bad Southerner. I've even been told I have a mid-West accent.

I may spontaneously combust into flames at any moment.

However, and this is my redeeming quality, I have discovered that since I had kids I have slowly started returning to my roots. And let me tell you.. those are some major country hick roots.

I have found that I want to recreate certain childhood memories for my own kids and, therefore, am slowly turning into my parents.

First of all, there is my return to country music. I absolutely hated it growing up, but now I'm finding that I can't handle hard rock anymore. My ears have become sensitive. Plus, I have to be careful what I listen to with the kids in the car. So, I've discovered that most country music is pretty alright.

A big shout-out to Trent Wilmon for putting out the best country album I've ever heard and to Billy Currington for doing THAT video.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

I am converted.

Second of all, I have rediscovered my undying love for duct tape and bungee cords. Duct tape is awesome. I would wager that it could fix and hold together anything. It is pretty much the greatest thing this world has seen since John Cusack taught teenage boys everywhere that the way to a girl's heart was to stand below her window and hold a boombox over your head.

And bungee cords? Well, what can they NOT do? They can tie down the trunk of your car. They can hold a suitcase together. They can secure a kid to the back of a chair.

Everyone should own a few.

Now, third on the list of Leslie Is Rediscovering Her Roots is the fact that I'm contemplating introducing my children to the world of sports.

Currently, I'm reviewing the alphabet with Eli and the other day we did the letter "F". His little workbook had a picture of a football in it and I asked him what it was.

Ya'll, he did not know.

His eyes got big and he started to panic (he hates getting the answer wrong).

"It's a ball!"

"Yeah, but what kind of ball?"

"Ummm.... ummmm... an inflatable ball?"

"Do you know what kind of inflatable ball it is?"

"No"

"Well, guess."

"A basketball?" "A baseball?"

"It starts with the letter F".

"A fishball? A... a.... a...fanball? "A flowerball?"

Ya'll, I was stunned. I may have the only 5 year old in the entire United States of All That Is Good and Great America who cannot recognize a football - or even conjure up the word football - but can sing every word from every song on Josh Groban's entire Christmas CD.

Clearly, this calls for Early Childhood Intervention.

I contemplated signing him up for sports, but then visions of spending the next 7 years of Saturdays sitting on a fold out lawn chair on the sidelines of some field eating stale nachos and drinking tepid lemonade put me off the idea so fast you wouldn't believe it.

I think I'm going to have to buy myself a football and teach him how to throw it in the backyard.

Simeon, God Bless Him, is a fantastic father, but he is the least athletically inclined man I've ever met. He's more cultured than sporty. I mean, come on. He grew up a country that produced Shakespeare and Dickens and the Spice Girls. So I'll take care of the sporty things and leave the more refined, delicate, cultural lessons for Sim to tackle.

Such as teaching the kids how to make a really great cup of tea and how to hand roll their own cigarettes.

Now, football is HUGE in the south (or is it just Texas?) and the fact that I am acknowledging and actually contemplating buying a football means I'm one step closer to making my Daddy really proud of me.

And last but not least, I realized that I should be able to get back my "I'm a Proud Southerner" card after I watched Talladega Nights the other day and thought it was The.Funniest.Movie.Ever.

Ever.

I loved it. And that is huge for me. Huuuuuuuuuuge! I am much more of an indie film and foreign film lover. But I absolutely loved this movie.

My mom hated it. She found it incredibly offensive. But my dad loved it. Which means while most girls grow up to be like their mom, I'm slowly turning into my father.

Case in point...the other day, I actually told my 4 year old to come over and pull my finger.

Now, I didn't actually do anything because that would be gross and I'm much more refined than that. But the words pull my finger actually escaped from my lips.

Anyway, I loved the movie. I thought it was hysterical. Sim, however, was horrified that I found it so humorous. I think some of the American humor must've escaped him or something. In fact, he looked so horrified that you would have thought I'd just sprouted 16 heads and told him I wanted us to start watching WWE Smackdown.

I couldn't quite understand why I liked the movie so much. It just felt familiar to me.. like home.

And boy howdy, you should've seen Sim's face when I told him that. Clearly, I am not the woman he thought he'd married and I could practically see him doing mental math in his head to determine how much child support he'd have to pay if he started divorce proceedings.

So there you have it. I don't gag at the sound of country music. I understand that boy butts do look good in a pair of wranglers. My beloved birks are now held together by a mixture of gorilla glue and duct tape. I have at some point in the past 12 months used a string of bungee cords as a laundry line. I might -gasp! - buy a football. And I watched - and adored - Talladega Nights.

I may even see if I can find my old orange sateen "Von Erich Country" jacket for Nandini to wear when she gets a bit older.

Shoot, I might even take the kids to Pancho's so they can fight over raising the flag for another basket of sopapillas.

We might even buy a tetherball.

I am Southern. And I'm proud of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Southern?! Girl, I think you're REDNECK! Love your blog!--A Lurker
hydra12 said…
OK, I'm thinking we have a problem here. We're TWINS, for goodness sake, and your roots are different from mine!

I've even been told I have a mid-West accent.

In high school, I was accused of talking like a yankee (I doubt they ever thought of 'mid-western'). OK, we're good so far.

Country Music - yes, we did grow up with country music. I guess we're good for that one, too, though I don't care for it and prefer 'hard rock'. As for what the kids can listen to, I choose Christian bands like Skillet, Disciple, Kutless, etc.

Duct Tape - you didn't know about this because you didn't watch MacGuyver with us when we were growing up. Plus, you didn't have to help Dad fix things around the house.

Sports - Dad didn't teach me the most American sport of football. He taught me to play the even more American (but less popular) sport of baseball. I also played soccer as a kid. Wait, you were on my soccer team, weren't you?

next 7 years of Saturdays - clearly you are out of touch with contemporary little league practice. Saturdays? Robert played soccer, and we had practice two nights a week for at least an hour plus the Saturday games. Jessica played softball, and we practiced 1-2 times a week until games started. Then we had 2-3 games a week. BE AFRAID! Be VERY AFRAID!

football is HUGE in the south - Sis, football is HUGE everywhere in the US. Hockey might eclipse it up north, but I doubt it.

Talladega Nights - incredibly tacky, and very funny (at times).

I'm slowly turning into my father - then you'd better buy a ball cap to cover up your loss of hair :-)

It just felt familiar to me.. like home - this is my biggest problem with your whole blog - the movie was funny, but we did NOT grow up in a home like that! It may have felt comfortable or whatever, but not HOME!

BTW, I'll bet you didn't even get the Highlander references.

Tetherball - this is not southern, it's more Napolean Dynamite (stupid, but not southern).

OK, so I can see some of your points, though I (choose to) interpret things a little differently. I know you are married to a Brit and all, but really, after living where I live for the past almost 13 years, I have to say that our upbringing wasn't all that hick, redneck, or whatever. I could tell you stories . . . but not where anyone can read them :-)
Recovering Noah said…
Mark, are you kidding? Of course I picked up on the Higlander reference. I loved me some Highlander!

And as far as the movie making me feel like home... well, I know we didn't grow up in a home like that (Mom will be SO offended when she reads that blog post), but I think what I was trying to say is that I understood the entire movie and got all the little references. Unlike a lot of other movies. They named their kids Walker and Texas Ranger for Pete's sake. Tell me that didn't make you think of Dad?? lol

And good grief, I certainly won't sign the kids up for sports after your comment. All that practice would totally interfere with my tv watching.

Hi Lurker! Yes, we are slightly redneck. I thought that labeling my family that would offend my mom, so I just put Southern. But then I probably offended all the Southern readers who read this blog. It's okay, it's a small blog. There's not that many who read it. ;-)
hydra12 said…
OK, I'll grant the point. I still say we weren't/aren't redneck, though. You haven't even seen redneck . . . come stay in Wise County for awhile, then say we are redneck . . .

BTW, Beth insists that we are not 'Southern'. Her family is from Georgia. I will say this: we may be from the south geographically, but we are NOT from the DEEP SOUTH. Things in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. are very different than they are in Texas. For instance, Texans may have a little bit of a country drawl, but not like people from Georgia. Also, we don't eat boiled peanuts. That is a definitive (totally gross) deep south food. Also, at least in our house, we didn't grow up eating collard greens, cabbage, lima beans, or any of the other things that Beth assures me are standard fair in the south.

Food for thought . . .
Hannah_Rae said…
If I were to write a post like that it would be about turning into a yooper...despite all my efforts. For you southern thangs...a yooper is a resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...you know that place people usually think is Wisconsin or Canada. I married into yooper-dom, and although my husband who was born and raised here has absolutley no yooper accent what-so-ever, my "o"s are slowly, but surely becoming more and more yooperish.

My sister, who has lived in Dallas for the past 5 years, pointed this out at Christmas, where I in turn pointed out her growing drawl.

As for cultural things, I still hate rutebegey, and I will still not eat lutefisk to save my life, but I do take a sauna every day. :)

Thanks for letting us get to know you so well. :) Even the scary parts! :)

Hannah
Recovering Noah said…
Now, I agree that we didn't grow up eating collard greens and lima beans and the such, but that's only because we didn't grow up eating ANYTHING green. Our diet consisted of roast, mashed potatoes, and creamed corn. Oh, and cornbread soup. What a minute, that's right, you don't even like corn. You get your Southern Card revoked immediately.

Maybe we're just Redneck. Does your wife know that you spent a good deal of the Monday nights of your youth down at Will Rogers Coliseum watching the Von Erichs kick some Freebird batooey? Or that Dad used to take us to watch Elvis impersonators down at the mall?

And Wise county may be hick, but, honey, our county could beat your county up. Isn't that right fellow H.C. readers?

Hannah, wow. It's amazing that we live in the same country, yet I have no idea what you're talking about. Luke what? Lukefish? Is that as nasty at it sounds? And I'm going to have to google rutebegey. Is that like a rutabaga? And, oh my goodness, they actually take saunas everyday? Where? Outside? Inside? Does every yooper home have one? And why didn't we learn this in U.S. History?

Seriously, I'm quite wowed. I feel a blog post coming on about cultural differences in the various parts of the U.S.A....
Hannah_Rae said…
Lutefisk. It's a Norweigan and Finnish dish that is very popular around Christmas time. Basically, lye-dried fish that is soaked in water to rehydrate and usually turned into a soup. YUCK! We live in a very Finnish area. Kaleb's grandma is a first generation American, and with a name like Tuimala, there is no doubt.
Rutabaga and rutebegey are the same thing. It's just how they pronounce it. :)
Yes, we actually take a sauna every day. Saunas are a huge part of Finnish culture, and many houses are built with them. The house we moved into last May has two. One in the basement and a huge wood-burning one outside. They are used as baths. Our basement one has a shower, so that's why we use it daily. You get SOOOO clean! And it's not pronounced "saw na". In Finnish, you pronounce every letter, so it's sow nah. SA U NA. :)

I love this place. I love being part of my husband's rich cultural heritage. But I will not eat Lutefisk.
Anonymous said…
Wow...you crack me up!! Also, I like the comment in your comment about our county taking another county down!! That is a statement I totally agree with! GO HC!!
Anonymous said…
Talledaga Nights never fails to crack my husband and I up every time we watch it.

"Dear 8 lb 5 oz Baby Jesus...." LOL

"I am declaring Granny Law." LOL

"Well, if it isn't our mangy, transient grandfather" LOL

"Why do you do that? It's a bit offputtin' to pray to a baby." LOL


See...hysterical!
Anonymous said…
Oh, and I live in the Deep South. LOL
sarah bess said…
You're hilarious. Have I already told you that ten times? But I know what you mean. I'm a montanan, and my hometown is very country. I never considered myself particularly country, but the other day here in Hyderabad, I got teary sitting in Pizza Hut when "Heads Carolina; Tails California" came on. Where the heck'd they find that cd? I was the only one in the restaurant singing into her fork (to the mortification of my 6-year-old, for whom my whiteness is almost too much to take ("oh my gosh, mom. everybody's looking at us. at least don't speak english, ok?")
Anonymous said…
Von Erich's!!! Now that's when wrestlin was real!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!