Batter, Batter, Batter... Swwwing!

The boys had their first baseball game yesterday. Let me tell you, I never in a million years thought that I'd be seeing Noah play baseball, but there he was in his little blue jersey making a homerun. Awesome!

When we first moved out here (to a place I affectionally call "the sticks"), I was really upset. We moved from Denton - where everything geared towards kids with special needs was right at our fingertips. I was so mad at my husband for moving us an hour and a half from Dallas - where the school district was awful for kids with autism. Where there were no Autism Mom support groups. Where basically, in my opinion, nothing existed.

But we are very fortunate that the most incredible Occupational Therapy clinic opened up in Kaufman. And there are some amazing parents there. One of them started a local "Buddy League" baseball team for all the kids in our area with special needs - from Crandall all the way to Athens. They have these type of leagues all over Dallas and Plano, but I never thought I'd see one here. And, lo and behold, one started up.

Isn't God great!

We meet at the Kemp baseball field on Sunday afternoons for 6 weeks, and they've even got some of the Kemp High School baseball team helping out with the kids. Each kid - that needs one - is assigned a "buddy" to help him (there are no "hers"... not yet... but Nandi turns 4 next year and will be the first girl on the team). There are about 12 kids and each one gets two turns at the bat. It's very laid back. There are no obnoxious parents sitting in the stands yelling and cussing. Everyone's so supportive. All the kids get a homerun. It's just a really great atmosphere.

Plus, the kids were wiped out afterwards and took the longest nap in the history of the world.

Yessssssssss!! Whoo hoo!

They are also looking for volunteers and more buddies, if anyone is interested. You can be any age, it doesn't matter. You just have to love working with kids.

Hope everyone has a great week!



Noah and Eli with their Buddies

And he's up to bat...

Wow, look at that ball!

Run, Noah, Run!!

SAFE!!!

Go, Wildcat, Go!

Okay, Eli. You can do it.


Wow! Where'd it go??


Watch him run!

Yes. There's nothing quite like baseball season in Texas.

Now. Who's ready for a sno-cone?


Comments

Amy said…
YEAH!!! I am so proud of your little players! I want to come to their game!!! Amy
Dreama said…
WOW!!! This is great!!! Now I'm tired just from looking at the pictures!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!