Technology Ain't All It's Cracked Up to Be

Dear GPS System,

Was that necessary? I mean, really? Was. That. Necessary?

All I wanted to do was go to the Tyler Zoo and you led me on a wild goose chase.

It's the zoo. In Tyler. The drive should've been filled with highways, gas stations, and Golden Arches.

Instead, you led me down one-lane, rural, back country dirt roads in Deliverance, East Texas.

Now, maybe because you're just a computer, or a satellite, or whatever it is that you are.. . because you are not REAL.... it probably doesn't concern you to drive down one-lane, dirt roads past houses held up by cinder blocks. Maybe you don't start hearing dueling banjos playing when you see houses with rusted out junk cars in the driveway, 30 feral dogs running around, and about 12 men sitting on the front porch in overalls whittling sticks. Maybe the thought of ending up in somebody's potluck doesn't send shivers down your back, but it does mine.

Granted, you did shave 20 minutes off my normal drive. But, seriously, was it worth it? I was a nervous wreck by the time I got to the zoo.

If you're going to direct me to a shortcut could you please make it someplace that gets cell phone reception? I'd like the opportunity to try and send an SOS just in case the need arises. Really? What if I'd broken down??

So. Consider this your warning. You'd better straighten up or I'm going to trade you in for your great-great-great grandfather, Mr. Mapsco.

Comprende?

Comments

Lisa said…
Hilarious. We don't have a GPS, yeah I know, we are dinosaurs, lol, and we recently got lost on a differnt way out of a holler up a holler, lol, I live in Kentucky, so we ended up in places that was possibly the set for Deliverance, so I understand how you feel. We actually had people stepping out on their porches because we drove by, that is how close the road was to their houses! LOL Glad you made it to the zoo, just sorry you had to go through the jungle to get there!
Adeye said…
Hi Leslie---Just catching up and laughing my head off! Wonderful posts :) I had never heard of a PECS---I may look into that for Haven (or your idea). Goodness, I'll try anything to help Haven communicate. Thanks for the great advice.
Recovering Noah said…
Lisa, my parents gave us the GPS for Christmas. So we were pretty much dinosaurs up until then. (lol).

And, yes! That's exactly what happened with me! The houses were soooooo close to the road that at first I thought I was in someone's private driveway. I was seriously looking at that GPS and shaking my head in wonder.

Hi Adeye! PECS are wonderful - provided you don't have a child that will eat them. There are some great communication devices out there - some are easy and some are just flat out expensive. Right now, we're trying to teach Noah how to spell and point to a letterboard to help communicate. I'll be posting about it on Wed.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!