My first time.....

I did something today that I have never done in my entire life. And I mean never done.

I mopped.

That's right. I have never mopped a floor. Ever.

Guess I blew my image as the perfect housewife clear out of the water with that little revelation.

Oh, come on. You've seen my room. It shouldn't come as a surprise.

But, yup, I finally did it today. I got the mop, stuck it in some water, and cleaned our floors.

Sim will be so surprised. That is if he doesn't slip and break his ankle first. How long does it take a mopped floor to dry, anyway?

And I would like to point out I'm not a terrible person or anything. We've just always had carpet (until now) and a tiny kitchen. And Sim loves to mop. Okay, that is actually an extreme exaggeration. He doesn't love to mop. He just does it. I guess he's known me long enough to figure out that I won't ever get around to it. But today I did. High-five to me!

So, here's the deal. Angel over at Voice of Adventure listed her organization strategies on her blog the other day and encouraged people to link their blog to hers so that we can read about how everyone keeps organized. Fascinating reading. I had no idea that there were so many organized people in the world. I, however, will NOT be linking my blog to her blog because I would be appalled for anyone outside of my faithful five blog readers to see how I really live... but for you faithful five, I'm letting it all hang out.

Plus, when your kids could make a meal off the crumbs on the floor... you know it's time to take some serious action.

First, I got out my beloved Dyson Animal vacuum. I love that thing. I have an obsession with it. Unfortunately, it's been a busy week and he's been stuffed in the closet for way too long. So I reunited with my second love and vacuumed up all the dog hair, chip crumbs, and cough, cough.. .ant trails.

Then, I went into the utility room and tried to find the mop. I've never used it, so I have no idea where it's stored. Finally found something that looked like a mop - yep, it's a mop - and surveyed it. Eeeww, it's kinda dirty. But the floor's dirty, so it evens out, right?

Right?

I then filled the sink with water and vaguely remembered Sim telling me that if I ever got a wild hair up my butt and decided to mop that I COULD NOT use hand soap to mop the floors. Something about ruining the wood floors.. so I filled the sink up with hot water and started mopping.

Did you know that you're meant to use floor soap? Did you? Because I assumed we couldn't use ANY soap. Man, it is hard to clean up 2 month old sticky Popsicle remains with just plain water, a mop, and my puny muscles.

Speaking of which... man, does mopping give you a workout. I should've done this before! I was really working up a sweat. I had to actually stop and put my hair up in a ponytail. I stopped short of reaching for a doo-rag. Only because we don't have one and my dad has bought up every single bandanna this side of Midland and Odessa. The point being....10 day leftover spaghetti sauce splashed all under the table is just what you need to burn off a package of Hostess Cakes and a Twinkie.

Anyway, it all got done. The floor is nice and sparkly and all wet. I'm hoping Eli doesn't wake up and tear across the floor on the way to the bathroom. Our doctor will never believe me if I tell her that he sprained his ankle on my wet, mopped floor. They'll have CPS after me for child abuse and lying about my housekeeping.

This is a first for me. I am well on my way to becoming a Domestic Goddess. Although my skills as a mother are going to go waaaaaaaaaaaaay down because there's no way this side of Mars that I'm going to let my kids outside for the next 15 years. What? And chance them tracking in dirt all over my clean floors? No siree, Bob. This is a perfect excuse for me to lock them in their rooms until they're ready to go to college.

Oh, I jest.

Sort of.

What a good idea....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!