Sensory Friendly Films for Children with Autism

My lovely friend, Myia, just facebooked me a link about how AMC theaters and the Autism Society of America have teamed up to show monthly movies that are "autism friendly".

In their words...

"In order to provide a more accepting and comfortable setting for this unique audience, the movie auditoriums will have their lights brought up and the sound turned down, families will be able to bring in their own gluten-free, casein-free snacks, and no previews or advertisements will be shown before the movie. Additionally, audience members are welcome to get up and dance, walk, shout or sing - in other words, AMC’s “Silence is Golden®” policy will not be enforced unless the safety of the audience is questioned. "

Oh. My. Goodness. This is fantastic!!! We LOVE movies, but we never get to go because anyone who has a child with autism will understand that sometimes it can be a bit too much. The lights, the noise, the smells... you get it, right? And then our kids have the tendency to wander and make noises. Some grunt, some shriek. Just the sort of thing that causes the people in front of you to turn around and give you the stink eye.... usually accompanied by a smattering of words that you don't want your children to learn.

This is PERFECT! They're showing Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs tomorrow. You can find more info HERE. I think AMC is doing this all over the U.S. - so click on the link and see if maybe you can go to one of the showings tomorrow.

Guess who is going to be SUPER excited when I tell him?? Although I might wait until the last minute because I really, really, really don't want to hear about it nonstop for the next 26 hours.

Oh, I've learned my lesson on that one!

Thanks for the info, Myia!

P.S. I haven't forgotten all the WONDERFUL responses to my last blog post. A big thank you is coming up, but I wanted to get the word out about the ASA and AMC partnership because the next movie showing is tomorrow.

Comments

TracyC said…
Ahhhh! This would be perfect for us. So excited that Noah will get to enjoy himself. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous said…
OMGosh! How exciting is that... God is working so many things out in your life.. He is so GREAT AND AWESOME... I am so proud for you...

Love Steph
Hannah said…
A movie! How exciting! :) Have fun!

Blessings!

Hannah

Is that a record for exclamation points or what?
Lisa said…
Wonderful! See how fast God can answer our hearts desires? Hope you have a FABULOUS time, and don't dance too much, save that for the children!

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!