Heeding God's Call

Since I'm leaving for vacation in a few minutes, I thought I'd sit down and write something that I've wanted to get off my chest all day.

Earlier, I spoke to a friend of mine who recently submitted paperwork to adopt a large AA sibling group through foster care. And she's getting flack from her church.

A few months ago when Sim and I were looking into adopting an infant girl who was HIV+, I mentioned it to some ladies at our church and they were overwhelmingly supportive. In fact, when I got scared and said, "What am I going to do with an HIV+ child?", one of the ladies simple said, "Love her."

Love her.

Why can't all churches be like that?

As Christians, God tells us - no, COMMANDS - us to look after widows and orphans. So why are some of us so quick to judge those who do? Who cares if my friend will have her hands full? Why aren't we being more supportive? Who are we to judge people who are heeding God's plan for their lives?

With the upcoming election, the party lines are vividly split over the issue of abortion. Now, this post isn't about whether or not abortion should be made illegal, but if it IS made illegal, let me ask you this... What are YOU going to do about all these future unwanted children? If you are doing NOTHING now, then what makes us think you're going to take care of them in the future?

Will you only adopt them if they are white and perfect?

Will you adopt them if they are black, Hispanic, Asian, or bi-racial?

Will you adopt them if they have autism? Cerebral Palsy? Mental Retardation? Down Sydrome? History of Sexual Abuse? Rad?

Will you lift up and support your Christian brothers and sisters who do adopt them?

Or will you sit around and gossip and put them down because it makes you feel uncomfortable - because you know it's something you could never do.

What are YOU doing to help the thousands upon thousands of children in U.S. foster cares and orphanages around the world?

People are so focused on these children who are not yet born - but then they don't even care for them once they are born. People say, "Well, you can place them for adoption." Yeah, maybe they'll get adopted as cute infants - but what happens to the ones who have special needs or who don't make it into foster care until they're 3 or 7 or 10 years old - with siblings attached.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I guess I'm just mad that people would actually give someone a hard time because they want to keep a sibling group together. Because they want to give them a family and a chance for a better future. And yet they are doing NOTHING to help any of these children and can't even have the decency to support someone who wants to make a difference and who is actually trying to obey God's will for their life.

That's all.

P.S. For the record, I'm pro-life, but I don't think the government needs to make the decision for an individual. I am, though, eternally THANKFUL and GRATEFUL that my childrens' birth mothers choose LIFE because they are the best things that have ever happened to me.

Comments

Nikki said…
BEAUTIFULLY written.
Leslie said…
Amen! And Nikki's right, beautifully written.

I have friends adopting a sib group of 4 now, I'm sure she would really appreciate this post!
Anonymous said…
Uh, can you make me cry? Nine months pregnant and I have nothing better to do than to read your blog and cry. I love when I read informative blogs! Informative to the world on real issues not on things like planet fartball!! Haha. Well, I guess that was pretty informative since I had to try and google it to see where it was located.
C said…
When Michael and I started talking about this "go round" of adding to our family, he looked at me and said what we were both thinking, "There are some people in our church that will actually lose respect for us because we have five children."

Of course, our ultimate response to that is, "Ah, well." Yet, we had to just say it and grieve it, because it's true.

I've said it, oh I don't know, about a zillion times on my blog - I used to look at people parenting the way we are and say, "I could never do that." Then finally, one day, I dared to ask God, "Am I saying that because you are not calling me to it, or do you want to ask more of me but I'm not allowing you to grow me so I can get to that point?"

Well, the cat's out of the bag. We all know how THAT conversation ended!!! :)
Anonymous said…
Leslie,
I just love your blog. You're thoughtful and funny and so willing to say the hard things.
Thanks,
Amy said…
Thanks Leslie-LOVE your heart and adore you because you REALLY 'get it'. You bless me always. Amy
Anonymous said…
I too am very angry. "Our" country makes you jump through hoops to adopt a child. I understand the children must be protected...but good grief! Forget all the nonsense and hire more people to place these children. I pray for everyone to stop bringing children in the world until ALL children have forever homes! Each and every one of them deserve a Mother, Father and family. The only way to start is ONE CHILD AT A TIME! I say,"God Bless anyone who will love a child!" Every day you love a child who has NO ONE, is one less day that child is alone. I love your blog Leslie...you are an Awesome Mother! I am proud to know you.
TracyC said…
Thank you for having the guts to say something I think all the time but never say. My next question is do we provide any sort of real support for the women who decide to keep their children? I guess I should get a blog. :-D Thanks Leslie for standing up and saying what is on your mind.
Paddy said…
Hi Leslie,

Very well written!!! I look forward to your posts.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!