Noah's First Poem

Things have been so busy around here that I haven't had a chance to actually sit down and write much. Right now, I'm just writing down Noah's conversations so that I won't forget them.

Here's his first poem. He wrote it (well, pointed it!) last Friday when were in Austin to work with Soma.  She had him pick two words that rhyme and then she told him to make sentence using those words. I think it adds an extra dimension to his cleverness. =)

1.  The ride was long
     I heard a song

That was written after we finally arrived at HALO. It took 4 hours to get there because I was stuck behind a mobile home going 40 mph for a good 70 minutes.  I sure hope Noah didn't pick up any the words I was saying along the way....

2. I heard a noise
    I had no choice
    It came from running boys
    Not from toys

This was written after our lunch break. We were headed back and some college kids thought it'd be fun to dart in and out of traffic - on foot.

Again, I'm just waiting for Noah to spell out his first cuss word...  uh, I plead the fifth.

Last night we were at my parents' house and we asked Noah what his favorite thing about Papa is and he spelled out

S-T-O-R-Y

Then we said, "What else?" and he spelled out H-I-S  R-O-Y

That's when we realized that Noah was meaning the songs that Papa makes up. My dad is forever making up rhymes and songs and several of them call Noah "Roy" in them, after Roy Rogers. These songs were made up when Noah was a baby and they're all about Noah being Papa's future cowboy.. hence, the name Roy.  When he was little, my dad called him Noah Roy a lot.

Who would've known that Noah would catch on to that??!!

Again, it goes to show that our kids are constantly listening to everything we say and are constantly aware of everything that's going on.

Then we said, "What else do you like about Papa?" and he spelled out M-Y O-T-H-E-R  S-O-N-G-S.

Since Noah was the first grandchild, he has about 5 or 6 songs that are exclusively about him.

Anyway, I said, "Okay, Noah. Pick something else."  and he spelled out S-O-N-G-S.

"Noah, what do you like about Papa besides songs?" and he spelled out S-O-N-G-S.

Guess who has a stubborn streak?? lol

So I said, "Noah, pick something else and don't start it with an "S"! ", so he spelled out H-I-S  S-O-N-G-S.

Isn't that hysterical?  He's so funny. I mean, he's totally straight-faced while doing it, but you know that he's cracking up inside.

Oh, one more thing!  He brought me a can of Sprite from my mom's fridge and wanted it. Normally, I wouldn't give it to him (we are trying soooo hard with this new diet), but it'd been kind of a bad day and I was all emotional and gave in. Kids sure do know when you're most likely to say yes, don't they??

But I made him spell it! That counts for something, right?

So he spelled out S-T... then he stopped. Then, I kid you not, he looked at the Sprite can and then spelled it correctly. S-P-R-I-T-E.  He's never done that. It was so awesome. Then I said "What do you say?" and he spelled out T-H-A-N-K  Y-O-U.  Awww.

I will say that this definitely didn't happen overnight. We first took Noah to Soma's 4 1/2 years ago and he still has a long way to go.  With Soma, he does most of the spelling independently, but with me I have to hold his hand.  I don't move his hand at all, although it looks like it. We're really working on this because no one will ever believe that he's actually guiding his hand, not me, and he'll do it independently with Soma. So that's what we're working on now. Plus, he won't do it with anyone other than me or Soma. There's definitely a lot of work left to be done.

Gotta stop right now or the kids will be late for school.  Then it's home, therapy, and mailing out items from the SCH auction that ended on Monday. We raised over $1500 for Sarah's Covenant Homes! Niiiiiice.

Comments

Sarah said…
This is AMAZING! I'm so glad that you're writing all this down...I LOVE reading about all that Noah is learning and doing.
Chantelle said…
love love love this!! Thanks for sharing!
No Greater Love said…
Yay, Noah! :)
Noah and Noo said…
Fantastic Leslie!

I can truly relate. Every word is an incredible gift...

Enjoy your beautiful Noah!

Much love and blessings,

Liezel
K said…
So cool Noah! You are too funny and I love you so much!

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!