A Toss to the Future

A few months after I turned twenty, I hit a crossroads in my life. I had become disillusioned with college and was being strung along in a dead end relationship that I needed to end but didn't have the strength to do so.

I needed to find a way to escape from everything. I needed excitement in my life and I needed adventure in my life.... and I needed to find a way to get out of taking mandatory Calculus in the Spring semester.

So I signed up to study abroad.

I was certain that it was going to be the start of a new me.... a single me... and just the ticket I needed to get out of taking that dreaded math class.

I wanted to leave as soon as possible, but I couldn't decide where to go. So I narrowed my choices down to England and France. Mainly because at twenty years old, the world revolved around my social life and I was pretty sure that England and France had the cutest guys on the European continent.

So much for the new and single me, eh?

I'd never been to either country.... actually, I'd never even left the continental U.S.... but in my 20 year old mind, I envisioned that the boys in England would be gorgeous rock stars with even more gorgeous accents and that the boys in France would just be plain gorgeous. Nevermind that I made a 'D' in French IV. I had learned enough to ask for the bathroom, the finest chocolates and I could certainly bat my eyelashes and call a potential amour "mon petit chou".

But in the end, I couldn't make up my mind. So I did the only thing I knew how to do...

I flipped a coin.

I figured it was a win-win situation. I'd have my excitement and my adventure and my accents... and I'd still get out of taking Calculus. So I held my breath and tossed a coin to my future.

It landed on heads and I headed to England.

And everything fell into place. And everything that happened from that coin toss led me to where I am now. After my semester abroad, I moved to England and enrolled as an international student. That experience led me to my first post-graduation job, which led me to another job, which led me to a Rotary grant that sent me to India for 5 1/2 weeks, which led us to adopt, which led me to where I am right now this very minute.

And now it's sixteen years later and I find myself back in the very same predicament that led me to that fateful coin toss when I was twenty years old.

I've become disillusioned with school and there's a cute boy who is breaking my heart. And I've got a quarter in my palm that is waiting for me to make a move.

But I'm not twenty anymore and life doesn't revolve around cute boys and trying to get out of math class. Problems can't be solved with the naivety that a coin toss brings. But I don't know what to do.

Before I became a mom, I had this fantasy view of what being a parent was really like. I envisioned Mommy & Me classes at the library and play dates at the park. I saw carpooling with the neighborhood kids in the mornings and having lunch with neighborhood moms in the afternoon. I saw karate and scouts on the weekdays and cheering on sports on the weekends.

But in all those fantasies, I never envisioned learning disabilities. Or anxiety disorders. Or irrational fears. Bullying never played into my visions of parenthood. Or a crying child begging me not to send him to school.

When you're twenty, the world revolves around you. And people tend to give you some slack because you're young and you're learning and you have to learn from your mistakes.

But when you're thirty-six and a mom, the world revolves around your kids. And people don't cut you any slack anymore. They all have opinions about what you should do and they certainly don't mind voicing them. And you're not allowed to make mistakes anymore because your decisions affect so many people.

So here I am with a coin in my hand and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the little boy who is breaking my heart. People say that kids have to learn to be their own person - that they have to learn to live in the real world. But what if the real world is scary for them? And what if they're not ready?

And what if they're only six.

If kindergarten is hard, then will first grade be hard? And will second grade? And what about third? What will his view of himself be by the time he hits third grade? Three more years of bullying and three more years of anxiety and three more years of struggle?

Do I keep him home and teach him myself?

And that's where the world steps in. Because a lot of people have kids that fit into that fantasy world that I envisioned. And many don't know that this world - this also very real world - exists.

I never knew it did.

So, here I am with a coin in my hand and wondering if I'm brave enough to toss it. And I'm wondering why I'm not brave enough to trust myself and I'm worried because I'm too scared to pray about it.

Because it's not a win-win situation. I know what I want to do... but is it the right thing to do?

Sometimes I wish that I was twenty again.... when life revolved around Tripping Daisy concerts and dates on Friday night. When I was free enough to throw caution to the wind and flip a coin to my future.

But that's life.

C'est la vie.

Comments

Marty Walden said…
Homeschooling is also a big scary place even for those of us who have been doing it for 15 years (me, duh). It's not easy with our kids who have special needs, whether learning or emotional or both. It's not easy for mom. There is no "real" break, no sure answers, no guarantees. I do know that at least one of my RADishes would die in public school, or any school. So I cling to doing what is right through the difficult, RAD filled days. And pray for strength for today, because tomorrow is too frightening to think about. Hang in there and know you're not alone.
Mom 4 Kids said…
My 6 year old (almost 7) who has Asperger's Disorder was so stressed out last year in Kindergarten that I feared what the rest of his schooling was going to be. I wanted to send him back to his special needs pre-school class where he was top dog and happy and comfortable. Your Mommy instincts will guide you correctly. You will come to know what is best for your little guy because you are a good Mom and a smart Mom.

I can share that for my guy first grade has gone really well. He has paired up with a little friend who likes Mario Brothers too and does not get tired of hearing my guy go on and on and on and on about the same subject. He follows this friend around at recess and feels comfortable.

Last year PE was such a fear to him that it would sometimes take 2 hours to get him to school. We found out that the other kids touching him during tag games were a huge problem for him. Not to mention the dirt, the heat and the bugs outside. We met with the PE teacher who made some changes to where our son did not get tagged or touched and things went much better.

You are doing a great job! Hang in there!
Shara said…
There's never an easy answer when it comes to our kids, unfortunately. Just know that your kids are so very blessed to have you as their mom-- one who goes way above and beyond to make sure they are taken care of in every way. I am praying for you during this time. I dealt with this same issue with C, and I know how hard it is to want to do what's best for your child. You're an awesome mom, Leslie. It's all going to work out!
Chantelle said…
It's a tough call, no doubt. Pray hard and then go with your gut - that's the Holy Spirit speaking to your heart. Trust it.
Mary Beth said…
As the successor to the person who sent you on that program...I will say that that's not the way we envision those decisions being made, LOL!

But you know what? I truly believe that God brought you to where you are from that decision...and that God will help you find the way now.

You are in my prayers!
Wendy said…
One year of transitional Kindergarten was just the answer my little guy needed. Find a private school that offers it. One with enough kids to emulate a K class. It m=was the world of difference to my son. Maybe it can help yours?????
Sneha V said…
That's such a tough decision to make.
I'm really sorry that the things you envisioned didn't all come true - but you've done such a great job dealing with everything you have been given.
And I have no doubt that whatever you decide to do in this situation will be the right thing. And maybe he won't thank you right now - but one day he'll see that you only did what was best for him.

I can't speak from experience, but I'm always here to offer you support. <3

Sneha V
Bronwyn said…
It is always so much easier to make decisions regarding our own lives. If we mess up we have only to blame ourselves. When we make decisions for our children though I think we are much more apprehensive about if we are going to close doors for them in the future. I don't know any parent that wants to believe they deprived their children of any opportunity.
We have really felt led to homeschool our children and it has been a wonderful experience but it is also a tremendous responsibility and I often feel unsure and inadequate. I think the thing that helps me the most is to remind myself that no other teacher loves them as much as I do or knows them as well as me. It also helps to surround yourself with people who can encourage you whatever your decision is. We have a small group of special needs homeschoolers and it has been a tremendous support team for me.
I found that when my kids were in public school that I spent all night and weekend helping them to learn anyway so at least now we can do that learning and still have time to have fun.
You will have to chose what is right for you and your family of course. I will be praying for a clear signal for you about which way you should go and for strength and encouragement.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!