Look Who's Eight!





My sweet little Noah Bear is turning 8 today!!


8!!!


I've already been gently reminded by my husband that it's a bit pointless to get teary-eyed over the fact that Noah will be 12 in four years. I think he muttered something along the lines of, "Good grief, woman, get a grip!"



But I can't help it. My baby is growing up!!


I'm going to share something with all of you that might make me sound like like a looney..... but a few years ago, I was in a really terrible place - and in the midst of my despair, I heard God's voice speak to me.


Now, there are three times in my life that I've heard God's voice and this was one of them. And He said that Noah would talk between the ages of 8 and 9... so much in fact that I would jokingly regret praying for it all these years!


It's really taking a lot for me to write this out and publicly broadcast it. I mean, what if it wasn't God's voice talking to me? What if it was my imagination and I'm going to be embarrassed if he never talks?


It would be very easy for me to enter Noah's 8th year in a fit of despair because when Noah was little and had just been diagnosed with autism, 8 was the magic number that I always held in my head. Noah will be recovered by the time he's eight. Noah will be playing soccer and be in school and be like a typical eight year old. All this will be like a long forgotten dream when he's eight.


And, of course, here we are and things are pretty much the same... despite everything that we've tried.


But, despite that - and knowing that I may sound foolish and may end up being embarrassed in the end - I'm not going to be depressed about Noah's birthday by remembering what could have been. I'm choosing to enter Noah's 8th year by trusting that it was God's word that I heard and that Noah will talk in the next years.


I'm going to celebrate Noah's birthday by not what could have been... but what will be.


Happy Birthday my sweet, sweet boy!!! I love you, baby, to the moon and back. Mommy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy birthday SuperStar!!

You can do it! Start chatting Mama up!!
Chantelle said…
Got chills when I read this, Leslie. Thank you for sharing!! I look forward to following this year with you!!! ((Hugs)) to you and Noah!
Mike said…
Happy Birthday Noah!! What a blessing you are to everyone who is priveledged to know you. We'll be with your buddy next week when he sings another concert - we'll be talking about you!
Shara said…
And I'm believing right along with you! This will be Noah's year!

Happy Birthday, Noah!!!
Trouwbottom said…
Happy Birthday Noah!
Sneha V said…
Happy birthday Noah!
Your'e an amazing boy and such a lovable and amazing person.

I hope you the absolute best in this brand new year.

Leslie, I got tears in my eyes when I read this.
I believe it completely, and can't wait to read more this year. <3
Leanne said…
Happy Birthday Beautiful Boy!

I can't wait to hear him talking NONSTOP soon Leslie! Charge up that video camera!
sandwichinwi said…
Happy Birthday, Noah! 8 is such a big little man!

Blessings,
Sandwich
The Johnson's said…
Wow!! Eight! I still think of Noah as 3...hehe. I think when Noah does start talking he's going to have so much to say...you can see it in his eyes!! Happy Birthday Noah!!
Lisa said…
I am joining in agreement with you that you will hear Noah speak so much you will wish for a muzzle! Praise God! My little cousin with autism went for years without communicating, and he now jabbers (coherently, of course!) non stop. So I will stand in faith with you that very soon, well, let me rephrase that, when God wants Noah to speak, HE WILL! Praise God! This really touched me today. Can't wait to know what Noah's first words shall be.... Just be patient and wait for them and they will come. Don't doubt yourself. That is you doing Satan's job for him, and he doesn't need any help. I will also pray that God will give strength and encouragement and remind you that it was infact Him that spoke to you. Don't EVER give up, even if Noah is 30.
Jane said…
" Celebrate Noah's birthday by not what could have been... but what will be." Hear, hear! Happy Birthday Dear Noah!
Bronwyn said…
Happy Birthday to Noah!
Mary Beth said…
Go, Noah! It's your birthday!
Myia said…
Awww...I missed another birthday? Please tell Noah that I said happy belated birthday. If I could send him a truckload of dirty, naked pillows I totally would.

Hello to Nandi and Eli! Hope all is well,
Myia
Amy said…
Happy Birthday precious boy- you are SO LOVED!!!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful pictures. Happy Birthday Noah.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday my lil inspiration. God certainly does speak to us and he has already fulfilled that which you heard early with some beginner words.. I remember Noah saying "mama" "kick kick". The words are already there we just have to encourage the deliverance. Go NOAH You keep praying and sure as I know he will be speaking abudantly.Love Steph

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!