Gross, Gooey, Yucky Sensory Craft for Kids Who Live in the South and Don't Get Snow


Isn't that snowman the cutest? Who would've ever thought it was made of grated up Ivory Soap, some warm water, and 1/2 a roll of toilet paper.

See, Eli and Nandi are fascinated with Frosty the Snowman... courtesy of the inundation of Christmas cartoons that have been coming on since the day after Thanksgiving. And Eli just can't understand why it doesn't snow in Texas.

I can tell him why. Because Texas is God's Country and God knows that mama can't live anywhere where it dips below 75 degrees on a regular basis.

It's a fact.

So, anyway, I came across a post about Faux Snow on a blog and thought it would be perfect for the kids. Plus it promised to have a lot of sensory input for our kiddoes with SID and required all three to work on their fine motor skills by tearing up the TP into small pieces.

You know what? I never thought about how hard it is to tear up toilet paper if you have weak motor skills... which probably explains why I'm still wiping butts waaaaaaay past the age that kids should still need help doing that sort of thing. But, seriously, they could not do it. It was wild.

Here's how you do it... take one bar of Ivory Soap and grate it up into a cake pan or roasting dish - or something like that. You could have the kids do it, but I like my kids with all 10 fingers, so I decided to do it myself.

Plus, I found it oddly therapeutic.

Then you take 1/2 a roll of toilet paper and have the kids tear it into small pieces (or big pieces if that's all they can do) and mix it in the pan with the Ivory Soap. Then take some warm water and pour it into the bowl and have your kids mush it all around like this...

Yes, I'm aware that Nandi is wearing the same Superman costume in practically every picture that I've posted of her in the last 6 months.

It's her thing.
Then, just let the kids' imagination run wild. Eli made a dragon. He used buttons for the nose and rick-rack for the mouth. Up at the top, Frosty's sporting a funky rick-rack scarf... as is the creation that Nandi created below. It's meant to be a dog, but ummm, yeah.... we just nodded and smiled. Ohhhhh, yes, I see. It's a dog. Look, honey (nudge, nudge) Nandi made a doggy.


It went surprisingly well. The kids played with it daily for 4 days straight. It's pretty cool. Completely non-toxic. The only part that the kids didn't like was mushing it all up together.

"Eeeeeeeew, gross! It's nasty. Mommy, it's totally gross."

I, like, totally have no idea, you know, how my kids have ended up talking like, uh, you know, Valley Girls, you know? Like, that's totally freaky.

Eventually, though, the desire to make faux snow outweighed their sensory issues and bada bam bada bing they started sculpting away.

So, anyway, there you have it. A squishy, gooey, yucky phooey craft for kids who get to wear short-sleeves in December and think that snow is that fake stuff they decorate Six Flags' Holiday in the Park with...

Go on. All you friends up north. You hate me right? It's okay. I'd be jealous, too. ;-)
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Hannah_Rae said…
Oh! That looks like so much fun!!! :)
I'm going to have to do that with some kiddos.
My sister moved from SD to TX and has become a total whimp!!! :) My husband and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and where we live averages about 25 feet of the real white stuff a year. We are already up to about 8 feet, and it's only December.

Christmas blessings on you and your family.

-Hannah
Dreama said…
That is cool!!! and it looks like the kids had a wonderful time! Amanda would love it! Miss seeing you at church lately since I don't go on Saturdays anymore. Have a wonderful Christmas!
julie said…
That looks so cool. Does it ever get hard? Can you save their creation, or does it stay soft?
Michelle Riggs said…
LOVE the idea. I can't wait to try it. I can just imagine my sweet husband rolling his eyes when he walks in on us doing it. :-)
Pattie said…
Haha Love your post. So did you not see any of that dusting this year???
We Live in FL so I know what you mean about that whole kids want snow but mom can't deal with it. Our Church has a SNOW day but it's weird watching son sledding and we're all in short sleeves and shorts and sandles. I will have to make this up I am sure my 4 year old would just love this project. thanks for sharing

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!