I'm Still Around

I know I haven't been blogging much lately - but I'm still here. I'm gearing up for the start of school and furiously trying to get Noah's lesson plans done. It's a serious time-killer because I have to rewrite everything from his various curriculum.

Remember he doesn't talk.

And he answers questions by pointing to choices.

And we're teaching him to spell so that he can point to a letterboard and spell out answers.

And with CP, his body doesn't always cooperate with his brain.

Needless to say, it's exhausting. And having to plan lessons is exhausting, too.

I'll give you an example. We're doing Apologia Astronomy this year.

That's just a fancy way of saying that he'll be studying the solar system and learning all about the planets and stars. But is there anything better than seeing the look on people's faces when you tell them your 6 year old "severely autistic" child is taking astronomy this year?

I think not.

So, anyway. There's a section in the beginning on how a long time ago people used the sun and the moon and the stars to tell time and seasons. There's a part in there about how some scientists believe that birds follow the constellations when they migrate south for the winter. That's why they fly at night during migration and not during the day. They follow the stars.

Well, to explain this to Noah, I have to first define migration. Then I have to let him know about North, South, East, and West - because flying south and flying north won't make any sense to him if he doesn't understand what that means. Then I have to explain that in the north it's very cold and that it's warmer in the south. You can't just assume that he knows this. Since he's nonverbal, he can't just interrupt and say "What's migration mean?" or ask why birds don't just stay up north in the winter. And you have to make sure he understands all this - so we have to constantly stop and ask him questions. And sometimes it can take several minutes before he stops stimming long enough to answer a question. So, basically, that one sentence about birds flying south at night and following the stars can actually take about 15-20 minutes of teaching.

Then there's a tiny blurb in the book about Stonehenge. So we have to explain what a monument is and tell him that it's in England and then since he learned about the 7 continents last month, this is a perfect opportunity to review which continent England is on, and "Oh, do you remember who's from England? Mommy or Daddy? You've been to England before" blah blah blah.

It'll get a bit easier when he gets older, but right now we have to assume that he doesn't have all this background knowledge and just teach everything. And since we're doing 5 subjects this year - and I'm doing Pre-K for Nandi and Eli - well, I haven't been able to blog much.

Plus, there's the little important fact that the OLYMPICS start in TWO DAYS.

Anyone else an Olympic junkie?

Me! Me! Me! Me!

Remember how we've been without TV ever since we gave up DirecTV at the start of the year? Well, my dad came over and climbed into our 375 degree attic and fixed up the cable so that we can get local channels.

He said he did it because he loves me, but I think the real reason is that he didn't want me and my brood of wild and crazy kiddoes descending upon their little travel trailer for the next 2 1/2 weeks.

He saw how that went down during the four months of American Idol last Spring.

He wasn't itching for a repeat.

Anyway, we're going to spend tomorrow and Friday constructing our country flags and making banners and streamers (Sim has the job of making the construction Olympic torch and flame) for the opening ceremonies. Eli's super excited about representing Guatemala in the futbal jersey that Amy brought back for him last year. Nandi, not wanting to be outdone, has decided to represent England in the opening ceremonies so that she can wear the mass of English football clothing that we've accumulated over the years. Noah will do India proud in a traditional Indian outfit - and Sim and I will represent the country of Tired and Worn Out Parents and just slum it in t-shirts and shorts.

My flag might have a picture of a chocolate bar on it and his might have a bottle of beer. We haven't decided yet.

And, of course, we'll be eating Chinese food on Friday in celebration.

So if you don't hear from me, just know that I'm up to my eyeballs in school curriculum, construction paper, tape, and glue.

Oh. And television. Of course.

Leslie

Comments

Anonymous said…
We could party together, girl. We LOVE the Olympics over here! Your place will be much more decorated than mine, though. =)
julie said…
What a great idea. I hadn't thought of decorating "Olympicish"! With the boys soccer jerseys, we could represent Italy. Thanks for the idea :)
TracyC said…
Party on! I plan to have chocolate chip cookies on my Tracy Land flag. About school--I feel your pain. I have to translate all Soph's first grade lessons into sign language. Oh boy!
julie said…
gasp!..can't. breathe...no updates from Leslie....need. more. humor in my life...come back!!
sandwichinwi said…
Good to know I can go away for a 4 day weekend and not have tons of blogs to catch up on! Way to go, Leslie!

snicker, ha ha.

Blessings,
Sandwich

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!