We're Home!

We're home!! Well, we're at my mom's house - but we're headed to our place in a few hours.

We managed to get through the maze of both the New Delhi International Airport and the atrocious Charles De Gualle airport. I am never, ever, ever, ever, ever, going to fly through CDG again. It's a nightmare - especially if you're flying American Airlines. Speaking of which.... I am never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever flying AA again. I'm not being anti-patriotic by saying that. I just can't stand the airlines. They make international flying so difficult. I understand and appreciate that they are being as thorough as possible with security checks... but we waited in line for over 2 1/2 hours to get through their security. And we were the 4th in line! Can you imagine my mom standing there for 2 1/2 hours with a fussy, impatient baby. And no, I'm not talking about Nandini. She was good as gold. I'm talking about me. I about lost it... nearly becoming an embarrassment to our country, but I bit my tongue. I was about ready to hire a car, drive to Germany, and fly out that way. Anything to get out of that dreaded, slow line. My next visit to Paris will be via the chunnel from England. No more Charles De Gualle for me.

The whole airport thing... I can tell you right now, it was far worse than any of the snags we went through with our adoption. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Okay, I'm going to let it roll right off. It's over. It's done. It's finished. Moving on.

Nandini was amazing. Her Emotional Shutdown Mode comes in handy on the airplane. Out of two flights and a total of 19 hours flying time, she slept for 17 of them. Some people didn't even know we had a baby on board. She was fantastic.

There was a mini-welcoming party waiting for us at the airport. She's loves herself some helium balloons! lol. We then went to Aunt Wese's and had pizza, cake, and ice cream. Can you believe I made it all throughout India without catching the tiniest bit of Delhi Belly, but I get home, have 2 slices of CiCi's and a fourth of a Mountain Dew and all of a sudden I'm in severe gastrointestinal distress? I am still reeling from it. I'm just hoping I can handle the drive home. But, on the bright side, I might be able to zip up my skinny jeans now. :-)

... which would actually be good... seeing that the airport lost my luggage. My camera, my video camera, my cell phone... Nandini's clothes, most of my clothes... all gone. Hopefully they'll arrive in a few days. Everything I bought Nandini is in that suitcase.

But all in all, I am so glad to be home. Nandini went straight to Simeon. Actually, she went straight to everyone except me. I'm sure we broke every single adoption rule by immediately having a little party for her and letting everyone hold her... you know, it's probably not the best for bonding. But everyone enjoyed holding her and we live an hour and a half away from all of our family (and a continent away from Sim's), so I'm not too worried. When we get home later today, she'll have no choice but to bond with us. And we'll be home all the time, because I don't dare take her out anywhere for fear she'll be one of those kids who knocks over the pyramid of canned goods that some poor stockboy just finished stacking up. Plus, I don't know how to manage the whole shopping cart thing. Noah always goes in front and Eli gets the basket. But now, Nandini will have to go up front and Noah will get the basket and Eli will have to walk. And Noah can't have the basket because he mouths everything... and you cannot even imagine the stares you get when people see a child mouthing away on a package of cellophane wrapped raw chicken. So now... the real world begins. And I have no idea how to handle it.

Point being, though, that I have no worries that she's going to bond with me. I mean, a little, but I'm feeling better than I did when were in India.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who prayed for us while we were gone. I really appreciate it and felt those prayers. There's no other way we could have made it through.

So far, Nandini is doing really good. She's still weary of everything and is scared to death of the dogs. She seems to enjoy Eli, although he can be a bit overbearing at times. I think they will be the best of friends. She hasn't really noticed Noah yet, but Noah hasn't really noticed her, either. The effects of his diet for the last 9 days has hit him hard. He didn't go to bed until 6:15am this morning. He pulled an all-nighter like a college kid cramming for finals. Then, he was up with major tummy trouble about 4 hours later. But my dad says he's had a blast, and I think he's gained 5 pounds.

Right now, Nandini is chasing Eli through the house and Noah is hanging out with the Cars toy that A. Jayne got him. I hear the laughter and sounds of 3 children.... and it's beautiful.

Will try to upload some pictures later. My camera is in my lost suitcase, so my mom will download the photos she took later today.

It's good to be home.

Leslie

Comments

Anonymous said…
leslie
wow i bet yall are glad to be back home that's wonderful that nandini did great on the plane.i just can't wait until we get to finally see her.i bet you had a great time in india but there's nothing like being home in your own house especially your own bed huh.that's what i always miss is my own bed when i go any where.glad yall are home safe and sound now.good luck at home with the 3 kids.love christie
Paddy said…
So glad you are home safe and sound. I HATE CDG and will never ever fly AF (based on my experience) and AA(based on your experience). Looks like LH and BA will have my business for the next India trip :)

paddy
sandwichinwi said…
Welcome home! I'm glad Nandini is enjoying family life so far.

Two questions for you: I've been reading over your past blogs and enquiring minds want to know...

How did Noah do without you? Were his routines much disrupted? Was he ok with Dad?

And how did your mom like India? I did read she was gobbling up the food (despite not liking it???). Was her health ok?

Very glad you are all home safely.

Blessings,
Sandwich
Anonymous said…
Leslie,

Welcome Home!! We're so glad you all made it back safe. When you think it's a good time, Kenya and I would love to come and meet Nandini. Please let us know when you think she (and you) are up for company!!

Love ya,

Julie

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!