Please say a prayer for Logan

I can barely see the keyboard because my eyes are so welled up tears. Today is the day that Logan, a nonverbal 11 year old child with autism, gets sent to a State School in East Texas. I am beside myself with grief. He was a normal, typical developing child until the age of 3 - when he regressed into full-blown autism. His family life is a mess. No one wants him, and I honestly think they've all waited for this day to arrive. I haven't seen him in ages, but his grandmother (who is my mom's best friend) says that he gets so excited when they come over. He strokes her face and smiles. He knows what's going on. And today, they are going to restrain him, put him in a white van, and take him away from the only home he's ever known. They can't see him for 3 months - but it's not like they would anyway. Today, that sweet little boy is going to leave and never see his family again - never see anyone that he knows ever again - and it kills me. He's not going to understand. And he's a big kid. A big 11 year old. And they'll restrain him. And drug him. And more than likely, he'll be abused - both physically and sexually. Every day... every single day I read reports about abuse in school, group homes, and state-run institutions. Every day. That is not a joke. It is what keeps us parents fighting.. to ensure that it doesn't happen to our child. That's why we're so desperate to find a cure - desperate to find some way of increasing our child's skills, language, and abilities... because we don't want this to happen to our children.

Autism affects 1 in 150 children. That's an epidemic. What is this world going to be like in 15 years when there are hundreds of thousands upon thousands of 20 something year olds that need full-time care? There's no adult daycare facilities in place to support 1 in 150 adults.

I have to stop now because I am really working myself up. I just want to ask you all to pray for Logan because he doesn't understand. He's not going to understand why his mommy and daddy aren't going to be there when he wakes up tomorrow - and why they don't come to see him. I can just picture him staring at the window waiting for their car to pull up - and it never does. For the rest of his life, it never does.

Please God, help these children. It is not their fault. It is not their fault.

Comments

Mike said…
My heart breaks for all the kids who are abandoned by the ones who should be there to love them.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!