Paying it Forward

We had the most wonderful thing happen to us on Thursday. There's an email group called Hemi-Kids (www.hemikids.org) and it's for parents of children who have hemiplegia- and Noah's stroke or inutero infection (we don't know) caused paralysis and weakness on the left side of his body. Anyway, it's a wonderful site chockful of information and resources. Well, I had posted a question on there about strollers and what kind people use for their kids. Even though Noah can walk, he has no sense of danger or awareness. You cannot let go of him, and we have to keep an iron grip on his hand whenever we walk through a parking lot. He still rides in the baskets at the store, but his legs are getting too long, and he's outgrown his stroller. We are a loooooooooooong way away from having him walk beside us at a store. We still have to put him in his too-small stroller just to go inside post office because he just wants to lay down on the floor and rock. Anyway, several parents responded with the names of special needs strollers that are used with older kids... but they range from $400 to $2000! Out of the blue, a mom in Va. read my email and sent a private email asking if I wanted her Maclaren Major stroller. http://www.adaptivemall.com/mainbug.html Her son hit 95 pounds and outgrew it. Noah's only 30 pounds, so he can be in it forever. So, she mailed it out yesterday and we just had to pay for the cost of shipping. I can't believe it. How did we get so lucky? I am beyond thrilled and so grateful. Also, Noah's occupational therapist in Kaufman is an angel and she's applied for a grant for Noah to receive an adapted bicycle that he can pedal with his hands. If he gets it, then he can start training for the Special Olympics when we turns 6 in October. He won't actually get to compete until he's 8, but training begins at 6. Right now, there's no way he can ride a bike. We took him to Toys R Us and literally had him try every bicycle. The pedals are to small, he's needs pedals that lock. He needs his feet strapped in and a high, rigid back that has a strap to support him around the stomach and push bar that Sim or I can can control while he's learning. My parents have bought several trykes at garage sales, but he really needs one made to fit his needs. So, knock on wood, in 5-6 months he might get one.

It's amazing, when things look so down something out of the blue pops up and makes you realize how lucky you are. Noah is a blessing. He really is. It's hard... harder than anything I thought I could ever do - financially, physically, emotionally. Whoa baby..... especially emotionally. I mean, I cry at Hallmark commercials. What was God thinking when he sent me Noah? I need to take stock in Kleenex. :-) But we are lucky. Not as lucky as a lot of people, but actually luckier than a lot of people. Our family of friends - the moms that all started out in this together.... well, their kids have soared. They're talking and doing so well. Coloring and writing and reading and TALKING. That's the biggie. And we all started out together. And Noah was actually higher functioning than most of them way back then. And somehow it all just passed us by. So, I do get down from time to time. I'm happy for everyone else. I really am, but I do wish we could have kept up with the group. But then I look around and realize that it could be so much more worse. It could be a lot worse. And I wouldn't trade Noah for anything. You know, recently at the CAN Autism Walk at the ballpark, there was a family of about 20 people or so. They were getting their picture made and a little girl, about 5, was in the front. And they were holding up a sign that read, "Would we love her anymore if she could talk? No. We already love here". I know exactly what they mean.

Noah's Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

My 10 Minute Catch-Up Blog Post