Noah's Waited A Whole Year For This Day...


That's right! Anoop's debut album hits iTunes today! Whoo hoo! Party at Noah's house!

If you've just found this blog then you may not know that our little boy, Noah, has autism and is nonverbal. And kids with autism - as a general rule - aren't that interested in a lot of things. Noah, especially, likes to spend most of his days sitting on his bed spinning the wheels to toy cars or outside swinging on a swing.

He may watch Elmo videos, but he doesn't watch TV or anything outside of Sesame Street.

He likes music, but only music that he listened to as a baby... like The Wiggles "Yummy Yummy" and They Might Be Giants.

So, imagine our surprise last year when the American Idol season started and Noah ran to the TV all excited when a contestant named Anoop Desai appeared on screen and started to sing.

I mean Noah went nuts. He was glued to the T.V. and would hop up and down and clap his hands and get all excited. When Anoop would sing a ballad, Noah would calm down and just gaze at the T.V transfixed - and if Anoop got a negative review, Noah would leave the room. It was amazing to watch... amazing to see that this college kid from North Carolina could wake Noah up from a deep autism slumber once a week for 5 or 10 minutes. We lived for Tuesday nights.

Eventually, Anoop got voted off, so we made a CD of all the songs he sang on the show and Noah loved it. All three kids loved it. All of their favorite Anoop songs on one CD. Perfect.

Well, fast forward to a year later... and BAM! Anoop has released his very first CD as a solo artist.

And you know what? It's pretty darn good. I mean, really good. As in, go to iTunes and download that baby right now!

Listen, I'm not going to lie. I don't really like R&B and Pop. I'm not sure if that's the genre that this album falls into because basically, in my mind, music categories fall into Christian, Country, 80's rock, 90's Britpop (as in British.. NOT Britney), David Cook (muy caliente!), The Best Band Ever: U2 and a final category called "Why would anyone want to listen to anything else?"

BUT... I really like this. It's catchy and I found myself doing a little shoulder shimmy and shake to practically every song. I mean, it's worth checking out. Although the first song has the word "Da*m" in it.... which I don't really like my kids hearing. I guess the words "Gosh darn it" or "Golly geez whiz" didn't really fit into the melody. But all's forgiven, Anoop, because you have put out a really awesome album. Plus, you just look so darn cute on the cover!

Isn't that what every 20 something up and coming R&B artist wants to hear? That some mom just wants to pinch his cheeks and go, 'Oh, look at you, sweetie. Lookin' so cute on that cover. You're so grown up now. Yes you are!"

Really adds a lot of street cred, doesn't it?

But seriously, it's a great album - and Noah loves it!

When the single "My Name" came out on iTunes a few weeks ago, we downloaded it and the first time we played it, Noah came running in from outside, stopped right in the middle of the living room, and froze. He had this look on his face like, "I know that voice! I know that voice! I don't know the song, but I know that voice!". Ever since then, whenever we play it (and it is a catchy little number, let me tell ya), he now runs to the CD player and hops up and down and spins around and I swear he's dancing.

And he's done the same thing with the full album. Right now, no matter what he's doing, he freezes and strains his ear to the stereo and just sits still until the whole CD finishes. So. Incredibly. Awesome. to. Watch.


So, a big shout-out to this man right here below:


Your CD has obviously passed the "Noah Test". Two thumbs up. 5 stars. No doubt about it, you rock! Or is that you "R&B"? Heck, I don't know. But you did a great job.

P.S. You can order the CD or preview it by going to iTunes and search for "Anoop Desai". Or you can just go straight to his official site HERE .

P.P.S. Here's the very first time Noah saw Anoop perform on AI last year. Been a huge fan ever since:



Comments

Anonymous said…
Dude. I am SO HAPPY for Noah.

Do you pull Anoop up on Youtube? Then he could SEE him too.. whenever he wanted.

xoxo
Chantelle said…
Beautiful to watch Noah watching Anoop. :)
Anonymous said…
I'm happy for Noah and congratulations on your very nice post about Anoop's CD. I've been meaning to write something of that sort too. You see, Anoop helped me since I first saw him on AI last year. Back then I was bald, weak, and depressed from Cancer treatments and Anoop cheered me up each time he sings on stage. Imagine my disappointment when he got the boot. Anoop has magic, i don't know what, but he is so pleasing to the ears and pleasant to the eyes, he makes me feel good. I followed him from then on and I will continue to support him. I will continue praying for his success. ZarahD
Sneha V said…
Whooo!!
I agree completely - the album is amazing.

And even better, is the fact that Noah's enjoying it too.

I'm way excited for you & Noah! :D

Sneha
PS "You rock. Or is it you R&B" HAHA. Easily the best line ever. :)
Kelly said…
Well if Noah likes it, and you're ready to pinch cheeks then maybe its worth it. I LOVE how you write, I needed a pick-me-up tonight, and yours was perfect.
Kim Stryker said…
I am a friend of Anoop's and reading your post about his music affected your son is so amazing. I am sitting here crying. I know Anoop must be amazed and humbled by this story. The healing power of music. So great! Love to Noah!
Unknown said…
it's only now that i got to "meet" Noah. well, i am so happy for him, for his recovery, and for the greater things to come. it's so beautiful to see Noah watching my favorite Anoop. i was teary-eyed the whole time i read your blog and watch the vid. keep going, my friend. never lose hope. i'll be praying for Noah...and Anoop.
Blessed2BaMommy said…
He's so beautiful! He reminds me SO much of my 4yo; I have two severe boys. My younger one gets all excited in a similar way over certain videos; never has taken to one particular person like that; amazing!

We have the same or similar MacClaren stroller too... was my older one's when he was little, now it's my 4yo's.

Blessings, Michele
Anonymous said…
I read this post when it first came out but I never did leave a comment. This story is amazing, God is good and sometimes He works in mysterious ways. In this case, it was through the awesome Anoop Desai! I will continue to pray for Noah :)

Zarah...have you ever thought about sharing this story with Anoop? There are many who have shared stories like yours on his website anoopdesai.com You should write to him and tell him your beautiful story :)
sarah bess said…
that's SO exciting!!!
Cameo said…
I just found your blog via a comment you left for Nikki (during her trip) and just scanned the past few posts. I laughed out loud when I read your compartments of music. U2 is THE music for me as far as I'm concerned and I've often said it's the soundtrack to my life! Guess we have more than one thing in common! My daughter is from Guatemala also :) I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!