Flowers that Last




Okay, I would be really remiss if I didn't mention this super-duper Mother's Day fundraiser going on over at Sarah's Covenant Homes.

Wait! Don't click off. Don't let your eyes glaze over. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm talking about India. Again. For the gazillionth time. But ya'll, it's my passion. Plus, my kids totally helped out with this one.... and surely some of you have some compassion and admiration for me doing crafts that involve tiny glue dots and rhinestones with a child who has RAD.

I mean, seriously, do ya'll know how many rhinestones and sequins and glitter stickers accidentally got knocked off the table, stepped on, and ground into the floor during the making?

Enough that surely you'll want to whip out $10 and say "God bless this woman's soul! I wouldn't even attempt that with my own child. "

Oh. Wait. You mean the "take pity on me" route's not working? You're not moved yet? Hmmm... different tactic.

Okay, how about this? How about instead of giving your mom flowers for mother's day.. flowers that are just going to wilt and die and drop their petals all over the floor - that you know your mom is gonna have to clean up anyway - why don't you give her flowers that last?

And this is where my kids come in. You see, they spent a lot of time putting together these cute flowers that my husband took to India (did you know he's in India right now? Probably not b/c I've been too busy having a child induced nervous breakdown to blog about it). And these flowers were given to Sarah who is going to pass them on to Nikki from Blogs for a Cause (and who just arrived in India today) and she, in turn, is going to take some really cute pictures of SCH kids holding these flowers - with messages written on them - so that you can send them to your mother or your friend or your sister or your aunt or your teacher or just any woman who's made a difference in your life - and they'll receive an email on Mother's Day with an explanation that a donation was made in their name to buy life saving emergency medical equipment for SCH.


But the best part is that they'll also receive a picture of one of Sarah's kids holding one of the flowers that my kids made with a personal message coming from YOU.

It'll look a bit like this:





Or this:




Except that it'll be one of the SCH kids and the flower will have your message on it. I mean, you can write anything on them. Sarah has some great examples on her blog post HERE.



I admit... I'm sending one to myself of Michael, the little boy with autism at Sarah's, and it's going to be a picture of him holding a flower saying, "God has a purpose for my life.". And I very nearly sent one to myself with a child holding a picture saying, "Never, ever, ever forget."

These pictures will be printed out, laminated and stuck to my fridge as a reminder of my time in India and how much these children touched my heart and changed my life.



But really, you can have it say anything. And if anyone wants to send one to me that says, "Go ahead and eat that chocolate bar. You look fabulous and no one cares." , well, hey... I'm not stopping ya! ;-)



Seriously, though, it's $10 and it goes to a great cause. Did you read Sarah's post about Evelyn's death? NO ONE was at the hospital! A hospital without doctors. Unimaginable in our country. And if some of the emergency medical equipment had been available at Sarah's, then Evelyn would probably still be here. Do me a favor and read that blog post. It's heartwrenching and Sarah did her best to save Evelyn's life.



A friend from church is going to India in 2 weeks and bringing a nurse with her. If we can raise enough money to buy some of the equipment then Sarah and her staff can be trained on it while the nurse is there.



Just think about it, okay?



And before you click off, don't forget... Nandi made most of these flowers. Have ya'll forgotten how creative she is? Let me remind you....








Yes, it's the Jesus Meet Vegas cross that Nandi did for Easter last year.


I mean this girl has Bedazzle It! written all over her. So you can only imagine the different flower combos that she came up with.


And if you're lucky, you might even get a picture of the orange rhintestone gemmed one that just screams Late Elvis meets 1980's Dolly Parton.


It's worth $10 to receive a picture of the flower that very nearly pushed me over the edge.


And the reason our puppy pooped rhinestones for a week.


Click on the flower button at the top of this post for more details (of the fundraiser and how to go about it... not the details of my puppy!)

Comments

Mom 4 Kids said…
I love the pics and Nandi looks like she is doing so well in this photo! I bet those are some rockin hot flowers little Miss came up with!
Bronwyn said…
Leslie,
This is an amazing idea. I will get our Mother's Day list together and do this tomorrow.
I tweeted it in hopes that you get lots of people to participate.
You truly inspire me!
Bronwyn
Recovering Noah said…
Nandi is doing good - much better than last year. Oh my, I would not want to relive that for anything! We still have some bad days.. but we're hanging on. :-)

Bronwyn, thank you so much for tweeting this! I'm excited about this fundraiser. About $630 has already been raised! And I think it's a sweet way to help out. Thank you!
Anonymous said…
Wow, Noah looks so grown up! This is super creative...what a great idea. I bet you are going crazy with Sim gone..but how cool is it that your hubby wants to serve that way! Let me know if and when you are available, and maybe we can come see you guys.
The Johnson's said…
Leslie,

Such a great fundraiser, but I can't get over the picture of Noah!! He is SO big! When did he grow up?

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

My 10 Minute Catch-Up Blog Post