Various Ramblings at 3:00 in the Morning

I really have nothing interesting to say, but I'm up at 3:00 am and can't sleep - and feeling guilty that I haven't blogged in a while. So, I'm about to fix a cup of tea and start typing away.

Again, I have nothing much to write, so just thought I'd give some snippets as to what we've been up to lately and what's been going on in our house.

Let's see. I have to drive to Dallas today for a mammogram. Hmmm.. maybe that's why I can't sleep. The thought of my boobs being smushed into a vice keeps me waking up in a cold sweat. Darn mammograms! You know they were invented by men.

Noah just had a massive stinky - in the middle of the night - and now he's wide awake and shrieking. Wouldn't you be?

I just woke Sim up and asked if we could spend $500 to get Noah's allergy tests redone. I'm just sure that he has some new allergies and I'm a lazy butt unless I have test results in front of me that say "Don't feed Noah this or that" .... Sim said, "Can't we talk about this some other time?" I said, "When's a good time to talk about it?" and he said, "When it's not 3:00 in the morning"... but you know us autistic mom's... we can't sleep and head straight to google.

Eli has decided that he wants us to call him Obama. Sim and I were talking about the presidential election over supper the other day and Eli fell in love with the name Obama. He pretends that he's a fierce lion in the jungle protecting his tribe. So whenever we're playing, he demands that we say things like, "Obama, you're so brave! Obama, king of the jungle, I can't believe you killed that dinosaur with one swipe of your paw!" (Because in Eli's - I mean, Obama's world, dinosaurs coexist with jungles animals in the wilds of Africa.)

Nandini's hair is finally long enough to put into two little pigtails on the side of her head. It is so darn cute. She looks exactly like Boo from Monster's Inc. In fact, Eli has started calling her Boo-Boo because she looks just like her - and sounds just like her, too. We can't make head or tails as to what she's saying.. but she sounds adorable. Eli also calls her Lola, from Charlie and Lola. She is SO like Lola.

I love Charlie and Lola. We used to watch it all the time when we had DirecTV. Now, we just check out one of the DVD's from the library. They only have one DVD and I think there are 7 - so maybe the Easter Bunny will deliver a Charlie and Lola DVD into the kids' Easter basket this year instead of chocolate.

I am giving up coffee for the 1,756,456th time. Actually, I don't drink real coffee. I drink the International House French Vanilla coffee - which is really a heaping bit of sugar with a tiny bit of coffee in it. The problem is that I'm so tired all the time that I end up drinking it all the time and I'm totally relying on the sugar to sustain me. So, I'm giving it up. Plus, we get only a poxy amount of spending money each week and I don't want to spend $6 bucks of my blow money on two tins of sugar water each week. Garage sale season is coming up and that $6 could buy an entire summer wardrobe for one of the kids.

I am going to try and limit my coffee intake to Sunday mornings and LifeGroup. Twice a week. We'll see how long it lasts.

Speaking of garage sales, the Lutheran church preschool had a garage sale last week and I bought Nandini's ENTIRE spring and summer wardrobe, plus 3 books, 2 stuffed animals, and a pirate ship for $7.75. All the clothes were 25 cents each! Can you believe it? I also bought all of Eli's summer shirts and two pairs of jeans for Noah for next year. I found Gap jeans with an adjustable waist for a quarter. And it all came to $7.75!! I love going to garage sales out here.

Let's see. What else can I bore you with?

I am still on my quest to de-clutter. Gotta make way for all the garage sale stuff, right? :-)
Seriously, though, I am becoming obsessed with simplifying our lives. Nandini's wardrobe that I just bought consists of a few t-shirts, 3 dresses, 2 pairs of jeans, a windbreaker, a swimsuit and one adorable matching outfit with watermelon buttons. It's so cute! And that's it. (Plus a few things she can wear next year.) She already has a closet full of winter clothes that she doesn't even wear - and it just sitting there being all clutter-y. It drives me crazy. So, we gave a bunch to a friend and we're keeping just what she wears.

So, now I'm weeding out my own wardrobe. Anyone who knows me, knows that my uniform consists of jeans, cargos, a loose Indian top or a v-neck t-shirt. That's it. So, why do I have a closet full of clothes? Am I really ever going to wear a business suit again? Do I need 6 pairs of tailored pants that I haven't worn since I quit working. And on the other side of the spectrum, do I really need a closet of "going-out clubbing" clothes... when I haven't "gone out clubbing" since 1995? Why am I holding onto this stuff? So that I can one day hold up a skimpy outfit and say, "Look kids! This is what Mama used to wear before she hit 30, gained 15 pounds, and started sagging!" I mean, honestly, am I ever gonna wear that leather miniskirt again? I mean, maybe when Def Leppard roles into town this summer.. . but is it worth saving for that?

Anyway, I'm a mission to simplify our lives. We're going to donate or garage sale anything that's just sitting in our closet. If that leaves us with 2 pairs of pants and 3 t-shirts, so be it. It'll cut down on laundry. I've also packed away all the excess plates, bowls, and cutlery that's taken over our cabinets. There are 5 of us, so we have 5 plates, 5 spoons, 5 bowls, etc. We keep a few extra for preparing meals and that's it. I admit, it's a pain in the batooey having to wash up after every meal... and I did break down and put it all in the dishwasher last night because the thought of handwashing one more plate was going to make me hurl the plate through the window, but it's been nice not having so much stuff staring at me when I put the dishes aways. (Disclaimer: if you come to my house and see all the coffee mugs hanging up, don't think I've gone all hypocritical on you. We actually collect coffee mugs... which does add to clutter.. but we view it as art) :-)

We packed up our microwave. I'm starting to fill icky about microwaving things. We hardly ever do except to heat things up, but I'm reading more and more about eating healthy, live foods - and the microwave just radiates the nutrition out of everything. We're eating dead food with no nutrition or enzymes every single time we microwave something. I've been trying to eat more raw foods and it makes such a difference on my GI tract. Seriously, I'm not bloated or gassy or constipated...my stomach feels like a million bucks - just by eating raw fruit and veggies. We're trying to go vegetarian again - which also saves on our grocery bill. It is impossible to buy organic meat out here. It's just been amazing seeing how much better my stomach feels when I fill it with healthy, live food. Hey, if you want to see an amazing transformation.. check out the before and after pic at Rawkin. I've been reading her blog for a few months now and am just fascinated by it.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I'm trying, I'm not perfect by any means.... my mom is coming over today and fixing chicken and dumplings and I will most certainly knock all my kids out of the way while I make a beeline to the stove... but I guarantee I'll pay for it the next day. But I'm trying to at least eat raw up until suppertime. Now, the kids... not a chance. Although Eli and Nandini are slowly liking the idea of fruit smoothies with homemade almond milk for breakfast. Noah - my one kid who really needs a healthy raw diet - won't touch a fruit or vegetable if his life depended on it. He's such a carb addict. I'm going to try the GFCF diet with him again - which means I need to completely and utterly take anything with dairy or gluten out of the house because I am a weak, weak human being - and it's not fair to give it to the other kids and not Noah. So... this means I'll be perusing all the GFCF recipe sites looking for new foods to make. Darn! I had just gotten good at making scones, too. :(

Okay, I am absolutely rambling to the point of ridiculousness. I have to start getting busy on Mapquest. I've got to look up directions to the imaging center in Dallas and then have to go to Waxahachie to get Nandini's social security number. Can you believe Waxahachie is our local SS office?? Gee whiz.

So, anyway, this concludes our episode of nonsensical ramblings from Leslie at 3:00 in the morning. Hope I haven't freaked you out too much. After all, it is 3:00 in the moring - well, it's actually 5:00 right now... so I can't be held responsible for anyting I've written or said. I'm fully insured and covered by the Sleep Deprivation Act of 1896.

Leslie

Comments

C said…
I love hearing from you, even if you're sleep deprived and rambling!! :)
Nikki said…
I'm sorry you can't get much sleep!! That is so funny that Eli wants to be called Obama :)

Nikki
http://dreamasifyouwillliveforever.blogspot.com
Nikki said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki said…
That is sweet of you- thank you :)

And I have been working on my parents since I was 5 years old myself to adopt a little brother or sister... but I don't think it's going anywhere :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!