Noah's First Week at School

I cannot believe Noah's first week of school already came and went. Okay, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. He didn't scream or cry and I didn't have to hold him up by one arm and drag him into the building. Oh no. Just the opposite. He practically broke free from the amazingly tight grip I had on his little hand and ran down the halls. He LOVES school - and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. On his second day, he actually broke free from me and ran to his teacher and started shrieking with delight... leaving poor Mommy standing in the wings like a 12 year old girl at her first middle school dance. And on Friday, I finally got the nerve up to drop him off at the front of the school and let his teacher's aide walk him in to school while I sat in the car all teary-eyed and hyperventilating. (Okay, so that's a slight embellishment, but I did feel like my heart was going to come out of my chest). He was soooooo excited. He was practically dancing on the sidewalk with excitement. He does this little shuffle thing with his feet and hops up and down when he's excited and let me tell you, he was really going at it. I'm surprised he didn't burn a hole in the pavement with all his shuffling and hopping.

Currently, he's only going 1/2 a day but they want to make him go full day next semester. I think I'm going to keep him in for 1/2 day only. The afternoon is nap time and we all know how that'll go. Instead, I'm actually getting myself pretty darn organized (yes, I can hear jaws dropping all over the U.S. at that statement), but I have finally gotten myself on a schedule and I'm a whole new person. In the afternoons, I'm doing ABA with Noah and circle time and working on getting him to do the PECS system. I just think it'll be more productive for him to go to school in the morning and then come home in the afternoon for some in-home therapy.

The important thing is that I can go on record and say that the school is not as bad as I thought and that he does seem to really like it.

On another note, Leveta, I got your blog messages but for the life of me can't figure out how to reply to a blog message. So, I just wanted to thank you for your messages and thoughts and prayers. It means a lot. :-)

Noah's Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!