Popsicles & Bandaids Make Everything Better

I posted this on Facebook - sorry for the repeat if you've already seen it.....

***********************************************************************

Photo courtesy of Whole Foods Market   


Eli is sick today and Nandi doesn't feel well, so I thought I'd better see how Noah was feeling, too...

"How are you feeling Noah?"

S-I-C-K

"You feel sick?"

Y-E-S

"Where does it hurt?"

N-O-S-E

"Does anything else hurt?"

S-T-O-M-A-C-H

"I'm so sorry. Would a pospsicle make it better?"

Y-E-S

"What flavor?"

N-O-T G-R-A-P-E

"Okay, orange or cherry?"

O-R-A-N-G-E

5 minutes later...

"Do you feel better now?"

N-O

"What would make you feel better?"

B-A-N-D-A-D-E

"A bandaid would make you feel better?"

Y-E-S

"But you're not bleeding."

N-O

"But it'll make you feel better?"

Y-E-S

"What kind of Bandaid?"

S-N-O-O-P-Y

"And where do you want me to put it?"

S-T-O-M-A-C-H

"So, let me get this straight. A Snoopy Bandaid on your non-bleeding stomach will make you feel better?"

Y-E-S

So I proceed to put a Snoopy Bandaid on his stomach... and he tears it off and tries to eat it.

"Noah, why did you tell me you wanted a Bandaid if you were going to turn around and eat it?"

C-A-N-T H-E-L-P I-T.

(Lightbulb moment).

"How did it make you feel to get a bandaid?"

N-O-R-M-A-L

Noah challenges my belief system everyday. I wish every parent of a nonverbal child - especially with autism - would realize that our kids are in there. They're normal, typical children on the inside... wanting popsicles and bandaids, just like every other kid in the world.

Comments

Chantelle said…
Awesome... yet again!
Sarah said…
Oh Noah, you are one special little boy.
Leveta said…
SO SO SO COOL! I remember a few years ago when you said you just knew Noah was going to talk someday and he is just not the way we all "thought" God is SO good!
Leveta
No Greater Love said…
Oh, I'll have one of those red ones please. :)

Noah, I love hearing about what you are thinking about. :) You are one really really intelligent boy! I am so glad you are able to express these thoughts to your family. That must be very exciting!

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!