The Curious Case of the Unattached Child


Well, I'm writing this to let you all know that I'm going to be offline for awhile. Not sure how long. Maybe a day (hopefully). Maybe longer.


Eli and Nandi have been sharing a room (I know, I know - what were we thinking) and we're moving Eli into our closet. Sounds silly, but it's actually a huge walk-in closet that currently houses our computer and loads of other odds and ends. Basically, it's big enough for a twin bed, a dresser, and the few toys that haven't been confiscated and put into indefinite time-out.


We're not doing this because anything happened between the two of them. Quite the opposite. We're doing it to protect Eli from Nandi. She's being a little, um, aggressive lately.


I have the lovely bite marks to prove it.


Anyway, the behaviors are escalating and all started with a school shopping trip yesterday. Heaven forbid I want her to wear nice, clean clothes. Apparently, it was too much for her (even though she acted like she was having a wonderful time) and she immediately turned on me when we got home. And when that didn't work, she broke Noah's favorite toy.

*sigh*

So, today, things have just been way out of hand and I did something I've never done before.
I asked for help.

A friend came over and picked up Eli and Noah and took them to her house for the day. I hated to ask because I hate not being able to handle this on my own, but it was for their own protection.

We are also going to have get rid of our dogs. Well, one of them sticks to me like glue so I think she'll be okay, but we have to find a home for our sweet little deaf dog. She adores Nandini, but she gets hurt - a lot.

Anyway, after a day of bite marks, cereal boxes emptied on the floor, our kitchen cupboard stripped, broken glass and finally, the contents of our bookshelves strewn across the floor... I picked up the phone and asked for help.

So, now, I'm taking Nandi with me to Walmart to get boxes to pack up all our books (shoulda been using the library anyway), getting some locks for the cabinet, and a makeshift clothes rod to store my clothes. Oh, and we're taking back some of the clothes we bought yesterday to pay for a toy replacement for Noah.

The whole point of this blog entry, though, is to let you know we'll be without a computer until we can run a new line. Fortunately, this lucky lady is married to a phone tech, so it's shouldn't take too long.

Anyway, Eli will be getting a new room and we have to find a place for the computer and my clothes. Luckily, I wear the same outfit five days in a row and literally own two pairs of shoes - so the clothes things will be pretty much a non-issue.

And that's it. I'll post pictures of Eli's new room once it gets finished. He's totally excited.

Wish us luck!
*UPDATE: We've decided to move Nandi into the closet instead of Eli. #1, it'll be easier on us because we can keep an eye on her that way. #2, it might make her feel safer, and #3, Eli starts school this month and might actually make friends and want to invite them over. I mean, people already think we're a bit loopy.. the last thing we need is for some kid to say, "Hey Mom, this is my new friend, Eli. He sleeps in his parents' closet!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Leslie,

I love you. Thank you for asking for help. I am struggling with this right now. I've never had to ask anyone for anything in my adult life, and I am finding this so, so hard.

xoxo
Lisa said…
Asking for help is so very hard. Congratulations on accomplishing that feat.

You will get through this. Pinky swear.
Michelle said…
Leslie,

I will be praying for your family, asking for help is a big step and I'm proud of you!
Anonymous said…
Leslie:
Praying for your family.I agree with the others.Asking for help is hard.I'm that way with Sam and our issues are no where near where you are at.Wish I lived closer so I could lend a hand.
Leveta
Mom 4 Kids said…
Good for you asking for help! The closet room sounds like a great solution! Keep us posted! Hugs to you!!!
sandwichinwi said…
Oh, hugs. I wish I was close by to help.

Sleeping in a closet is awesome! It's not like you're locking her in (well, not today, anyway! LOL) You are making it into a room for her and I think you are spot on with making it for her and not Eli, for all the reasons you stated.

Hang in there!

Blessings,
Sandwich
Anonymous said…
Praying for you.
sandwichinwi said…
BTW, I've seen that EXACT same look on Sunshine's face. WHAT do they do to those kids at BSSK???? LOL

Blessings,
Sandwich
Anonymous said…
Oh Leslie, I am so proud of you to get out of the comfort zone of asking for help.. You can ask me anytime and I will be there if all is possible...
I said a prayer for you and tell Eli, Nandini and Noah I said Hi...
Haleigh said she will be glad to come over and help you anytime..
Love Steph and Haleigh
TracyC said…
Big, big, big hugs!!!! I'd bring chocolate if I lived closer.
C said…
If you ever take me off speed dial, I will hunt you down.

Mar is on Chinese Water Torture mode right now. Just little things, but constant, constant, constant (as Lisa says: drip, drip, drip!).

No DSL til Monday, now. I want to kill myself.
Lisa said…
Wow, you have a lot of books! At least it wasn't dishes? Sorry, don't know what to say. It probably HAS been dishes before. And for the closet thing, MckMama keeps Stellan in the closet, and she is like super mom, so I think you are okay! Hugs and Prayers, Lisa S.
Amy said…
Can I PLEASE come help you decorate that closet??? Love you guys and miss you!!
Anonymous said…
Asking for help is one of the hardest things we do as parents and as parents of special needs children... yet it must be done for their sakes.

You are on a long hard road and I wish you so much support, help and hugs. I'll check back more often.
~Lydia~ said…
HUGS!

I think Nadi in the closet is a great idea, that way she can be close to you. I'm praying for your family. Please let me know if I can help with anything.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!