Our best evening ever!

We had such a good evening tonight! Oh my gosh, it was like an answered prayer. Seriously. First of all, Noah has not shrieked since about 4:00 this afternoon. It's been so wonderful! And then, I've made a friend out here, and we went to the mall around 5:30 to just walk around and push the kids in the stroller. She has a little boy Noah's age who also has autism. Anyway, we went and played at the mall playground and Noah was so happy. He was all smiles and he immediately went in and started climbing up on all the toys. This is the same kid who a year ago couldn't climb up or down a 3 inch step. Now, he's climbing all over climbing structures. He wasn't scared at all. And he never even hesitated. Just went right in there and started climbing.

So, after that, the boys rode the toy train that they have at the mall. Noah was smiling and so excited. He wasn't scared. I was sure he'd be whining and getting all panicked. Nope, he just grinned at me everytime the train went past me. And he'd turn around in his seat and just grin. He was so happy. When the ride was over, he pushed open the stoor, stepped down from the train and walked straight out the gate to where I was. It was like he was a normal kid! No one would ever have suspected he had autism.

Then, we all went upstairs and ate in the food court. (Yeah, we didn't do the diet today). But it was just awesome. I mean, it was me and Noah and Eli - and my friend and her two kids. And we were all sitting there eating and talking and laughing and Noah was so happy. And anyone watching us would've just thought we were two moms out with the kids. We looked so normal and happy - no one would ever have guessed that our boys have autism. It was a scene that I've seen so many other mom have at the mall and I've never been able to participate. And it was so awesome because I felt like all my worries went away. We were just a normal family having a normal time. And then the kids rode on the merry go round and Noah didn't panic or tense up or anything. I stood right behind him and he smiled. I think he soooo enjoyed today. It was the best day I can ever remember having.

But the best part was when I kneeled down and asked for a kiss. He was looking at the ground and his head snapped up and he lunged forward and planted one right on my lips!!! Noah stopped giving kisses when he was 19 months old. I remember it distinctly. It was at Aunt Jane's and he gave Tyler and James a kiss and that was the last kiss he gave. A year later, he gave kisses for about 2 weeks and stopped. So, of course, I got all teary-eyed. You all know by now that I have a problem with emotional outburts! hahaha. But it was just such a great moment. And I wish you all could've seen how happy he was. It was pure joy. I just want to freeze it in my head and always have it there to go back to and remember.

Of course, now, he's back to shrieking... but I'm so glad we had this evening. It was like God gave it to me as a symbol of hope. I needed it so badly and it's given me something to hold onto.

Anyway, that's all. Oh! Wait. I have to tell you what Eli did today. It's too cute.
I was kneeling by the bed putting lotion on Noah and Eli kneeled beside me and he bowed his head and clasped his hands and said, "Mommy, I pray". I said, "Oh really? What are you praying about?" And Eli closed his eyes and said, "Dear God, please let Mommy buy me balloon. Thank you! Amen".

Where do they learn these things???

Noah's Mom

Comments

Anonymous said…
Leslie....that is awsome! Perhaps a peek into the future. Please don't give up hope, miracles DO happen!

xxxooo A.jane

p.s.....buy that boy a balloon :) Nothings to great nor small to pray for!

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!