Celebrate the Small Stuff

When we first realized that Noah had autism, I went to a seminar and met a mom who was telling me that I should never give up on Noah. She said it takes a long time for our kids to learn a new skill, but that they can learn. And then she proudly proceeded to tell me a story about teaching her son how to ride a bike. When I asked her how long it took him to learn, she replied, "Four years."

Four years??

FOUR YEARS??

I have to admit, I was so arrogant back then. I thought I knew everything about autism and I remember silently telling myself, "Well, that won't be Noah. He's going to be recovered by then."

He was 22 months old at the time. He had 5 months of therapy already under his belt. I knew he'd be recovered by the time he was 3.

Fast forward to August 2011. Noah will be 10 in October. He's had 8 and 1/2 years of nonstop therapy under his belt. We're beginning a new one next week. He still hasn't recovered.

But he did just learn learn how to catch a ball. How long did it take? Seven years.

Seven years.

Yes. Seven years.

And I proclaim it proudly.

Mama's proud of you, Noah Bear! You give me the gift of seeing miracles every day.

And to the woman who I scoffed at all those years ago? I'm so sorry. Thank you for teaching me to never give up.




Comments

No Greater Love said…
That is a beautiful example of perseverance!!!! Great job, Noah!!!! :)
Hannah_Rae said…
So proud of you, Noah!

Leslie, I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!

7 years.

Blessings!

Hannah
Shara said…
Love it, love it, love it!!!

And I love Eli telling you your battery is getting low. Too cute!!
Jenna said…
Hi
my name is Jenna and I came across your site. Noah is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. He is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. That is so awesome that he finally learned how to catch a ball. He is amazing. I have suspected austism and other disabilities. It takes me years sometimes to learn stuff, but I will learn it. Never Ever Give up! I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com
I absolutely LOVE this! Congrats to Noah for learning to catch a ball and congrats to you for never giving up :)
yellowgirl said…
very inspiring! have followed you for a couple of years. here's a link...http://www.option.org/about_us/atca.php
for some success stories of children with autism.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

My 10 Minute Catch-Up Blog Post