More Eli-ism (JOKES!)


Okay, so I know we're halfway through March and I'm posting a picture of Eli from Christmas. But it fully embodies Eli. He is so funny and so full of life... and, shhhh, I haven't taken pictures of the kids since then. I know. I know. Another strike against my Mommy Card.

Those strikes are adding up!

So, anyway, Eli has decided to become the class clown. On one level, I know it's a way of dealing with his academic issues. He is really struggling with school. Math is hard. Reading is hard. Writing is hard. But, dagnabit, he's pulling a 96 in Music! And Art! And P.E.!

That's good, right?

I wish school could be easier for him, but he has some real learning challenges. Which breaks my heart because he is SO smart! He knows everything about world events. He has the vocabulary of a high schooler. Oh, wait. Not THAT kind of vocabulary. Not the HS'ers who hang out on the bottom level and smoke, but more like the ones in the Honor Society.

Whew. Had to make that clear.

But because he has learning challenges, his self-esteem is very low. And he makes up for it by being funny.

BUT... I think he IS funny. Because Eli is older now, I won't go into all the things that he can't do... but trust me when I say that basic academic learning - simple math, simple spelling, even some simple self-care is still hard for him.

But good grief is that kid smart! His jokes make me laugh. He has play on words. Double Entendres. It's obvious that he is intelligent... he just has such a hard time with transitioning things to paper. If he could go through school with all his learning being spoken (no written tests or essays, etc) he would do so good. It's that transition from brain to paper that's hard.

Anyway, here are 5 jokes that Eli came up with this morning... in a span of about 5 minutes.

1. Why did the baby clock get lost? Because his mom didn't keep a WATCH on him!

2. What did Planet Earth say when Jupiter started squeezing him? Hey, give me some SPACE!

3. What did the Baby corn say to the Mamma corn? Where's POP Corn?

4. What did the brain say when it got stuck in the cloud? I'm BRAINSTORMING!

5. What did the sheep say when it lost its legs? Where are my LAMBS??!! (limbs)


Okay. How can we get this kid on Ellen?? =)

Comments

_ said…
I think those are funny! I laughed. I also shared them with Peanut and he thought they were great. He wants to tell Eli his joke now. :)

"What does a pirate drive?"
"A carrrrr!"
Shannon said…
Those are some awesome jokes. Laughing was a great way to start my day. Thanks Eli!!
Sarah said…
Those are fantastic! They definitely made me giggle. My favorite was the one about the planets needing space. :)
Last Mom said…
Very funny, Eli! My little girl is home sick from school today and your jokes cheered her up!
Lisa said…
Eli you made my day. Your jokes are hilarious! Thank you so much for starting my day out right!
Thanks, Eli, for the jokes. I'll have to remember them and tell my girlies later!
C said…
Eli, you are SO STINKIN' FUNNY! And when did you get so smart? What? Are you like 25 now? I just saw you last year. How did you turn 25 so fast??

:)

Hugs and love to you from Christine and her five nutty kids!
25YearsToLife said…
Loved it! All of them. Ellen comes to Orlando and is always looking for special guests. contact her and we will all send our "yes" vibes to her.
ali said…
hey, this is exactly how Jay Leno got his start. in class, with those types of "isms"(his book is so good!) so i think Eli is headed in the right direstion :) so funny Eli!
Dia por Dia said…
Eli's jokes are so clever and funny. My son likes to make up jokes but his aren't very funny so we all just smile. I shared these jokes with my kids this morning and they LOVED them. My son wrote them all down in his notebook so he could tell them to his friends! Good job!
my AB is hysterical too. He also is unaware of how smart he is. I write him little notes to remind him which he stoically drops on the floor and walks upon. It takes time. AB is 10. I spend a lot of time talking to adults on the same level of the autism spectrum and they help me understand where AB is at in his intellect, emotions, language, etc. I highly recommend it. And of course, I highly recommend you email ME whenever you need a hug! our ASD boys are a puzzle but gosh darn it if AB doesn't make me tear up with joy in ten seconds flat. I LOVE my son!!!!!
Leveta said…
Leslie:
He IS very smart and so funny! I had a good chuckle over his jokes. He is getting so tall and even more handsome than ever.
Leveta
sandwichinwi said…
Hilarious! The lambs joke was my favorite!

blessings,
Sandwich
Christina said…
I shared these awesome jokes with my four boys and we are ALL giggling!! Thank you Eli!!
Hannah_Rae said…
Wow! What great jokes! The "play on words" thing is hard for my boys, but J. makes up the best songs! :)

Way to go, Eli! :)

Blessings!

Hannah
Jane said…
Witty, funny boy... just like his mum! Keep them come'in Eli!
Cheers~
Jane
(Can't wait to share with the nephews, I'll put Elie in my bibliography : )
robin said…
found your blog on a friends blog roll and am addicted now! your transparency is exactly what i ned right now! finally someone to actually say their hardships out loud and STILL find so much to be thankful for and happy about. you and your kids have touched me beyond words. thank you so much. my 10 yr olds best joke was: what do you call a cat that does everything right? puuurrrrfect. (well, i thought it was funny)

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!