Noah's Autism Therapy Part 3 - Equipment

I finally got around to charging my camera so you could all see the different equipment we use with Noah. Some of it we use everyday, and others we just use here and there (i.e. when we remember!)

Where possible, I've written where you can get each piece and how much it cost.

I hope these posts aren't coming across all showy or anything. I generally put the cost of each therapy so that others can see how much it might cost them should they decide to try the therapy with their child. Plus, I hate reading about a therapy and getting all excited only to find out that it's completely unattainable for us because it costs, like, $400 an hour or something. Been there done that. And even though we still spend a couple of hundred dollars a month, it's gone way way down from where it was when I felt like "I" had to cure Noah in 3 months time or else.


First up, which you'll find in the picture above, are stability balls. I love these! They're my favorite. We use them for everything.. not just Noah's therapy. And, let me tell ya, I'm all about buying Noah equipment that I can use too... especially equipment that promises to firm up my flabby tummy by sitting on it.

Mainly, I sit on one of the balls while I work with Noah on his massage table (you'll hear more about that later). And I also like to sit on one and put Noah on another, hold him by his feet, and roll him back and forth. It really works his trunk muscles... and that kid's got some rocking core strength! We also play "bucking bronco" where he sits on a ball and I grab his legs and start jerking him back and forth and side to side. Warning.. your child MUST have good trunk control for this - otherwise - he'll fall backwards and hit his head on your wood floor.

Don't ask me which kid I tried it with to discover that little gem.

Anyway, we see if Noah can stay on the "bucking bronco" for a count of 8 - and he'll grab my arms before then if he's wanting off. I also like to put him on his tummy and roll him back and forth or bounce him up and down. And another favorite is sandwiching the ball in the corner of a room (you have to stand tight against the ball to keep it from moving) and then I hold Noah's hands while he jumps up and down on the ball. We usually sing songs and such while doing this.

The good thing is that the balls are available everywhere (Target, Walmart, Ross) and are pretty cheap... about $10 - $20 depending on the size. We have the largest size (60cm??) and the one just down from that.


The chair above is Noah's favorite. My mom scored this for about 5 bucks at a garage sale last Christmas. I think it's a video game chair?? Not really sure. It's more of a "Oh my gosh, this chair is perfect for Noah!" chair.

He's constantly in, rocking back and forth. It'll tip all the way back and then he has to use his stomach muscles to pull himself up. And sometimes, he'll drag us to it and we'll sit in it and he'll climb in our lap and we'll go back and forth together - singing songs or trying to read a book.

I don't know exactly how therapeutic it is, but I'm pretty sure it works on one of his sensory issues. Vestibular, maybe? (Man, I should know this stuff!)


Next up is the purple hammock swing that Santa brought him last year. But I also hear that you can get it at First Monday in Canton for about $99. You have to bargain them down to this price. You can also go to their website EZ Hang and buy from there. It's more expensive, though. About $130 and I'm sure you'll have to pay shipping.

Let me say, though, that we've had several swings and I love this one. It holds up to 350lbs and I can get in it with Noah and swing. Swinging is definitely one of his favorite things and this normally calms him down if he's having a massive fit. And Nandi and Eli love it, too. My gosh, we have to force Eli out of it sometimes!


Santa brought this mini-trampoline 2 Christmases ago. I sure do love it when Santa brings therapy gifts! But you can also buy it anywhere. I'm sure Santa picked this one up at Academy for about $99. It did have a nice little mat to cover the springs, but our puppy chewed it up.

Eli actually likes to get on here and jump after school. I honestly think school recesses are too short... he's got soooo much energy to burn when he gets home. Maybe each class needs a mini-tramp in the back of the room and each kid can take turns letting off some steam or something.


Mini-tramp in the way of a mini-trampoline... not a 1st grade mini-tramp. No. We don't need that. Just clarifying.

Noah likes the little trampoline, but doesn't get on it everyday. But when he does, oh man, he goes to town!


This is the infamous IKEA egg chair! Thank you Mr. or Mrs. or Miss Swedish person who invented this. You must have a child with autism.

I swear it's the PERFECT toy for a child with sensory issues or one who loves spinning things and loves to be spun. You can sit in it, pull down the cover (great for kids who like to feel enclosed) and have someone spin you around and around. Noah actually prefers the cover to stay up and sometimes he likes to stand in it while I spin him. (Although I'm sure that's totally what NOT to do...so be careful on that one.) And, oftentimes, he likes to pull his toys in there and give them a spin.

It's $80 and you can find it at IKEA here. If you don't live near an IKEA, be sure to check out IKEA swivel chair (or egg chair) on Craigslist. We've even seen them at garage sales. If you order it straight from IKEA just know that the shipping cost is outrageous.



This is an awesome balance board that Sim's friend Jason made Noah for Christmas last year. In his spare time. And he works with Sim, so you know he has practically zero free time. And he has a family. And still managed to do this for Noah.

Yeah, he's pretty much a saint.

Sim put the textured rubber gripper thingies on it (a couple of bucks from Lowe's) so that Noah's feet wouldn't slip off. Noah likes to stand on it while we hold his hands and balance back and forth. We also sit him cross-legged on it - though it's hard to keep him in that position - and try to get him to balance his weight on side and then the other. Plus, it's good for moms, too! Really works your balance and core muscles.

Noah's balance is improving so much!


We hit the jackpot with Santa one year when he decided to bring tons of toys that could double up as therapy equipment. But I believe you might also be able to find these at Academy - on sale even - after Thanksgiving. We don't get on this as much as used to... mainly because Nandi & Eli don't care for it as much now and they won't get on it with Noah. But he still likes it and sometimes I'll stand on one end and push up and down on it. It's hard work, I tell ya! I try to convince myself that I'm actually getting some cardio in while doing it. Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm all about psychological effects.

My parents bought this at First Monday one year for Noah. I think it was around $55?? I'm not really sure. I've also seen this set up around Christmastime outside of gas stations. Is that just a Texas thing? Or does every state have people setting up and selling things on the grass next to a gas station?

Anyway, Noah loves it. He's a swinging machine. He really has to work hard on to stay on it, so it's helping his trunk muscles. I mean, honestly, for a child with CP, he has great trunk control!

Noah pretty much gets on this every day.


Without fail, we can always find Noah on his little yellow swing. And he doesn't care that the whole thing only cost us $25 at a garage sale or that everythings broken on it except the three swings in the middle. He loves that thing. One day, I'd love to get him one of those big wooden ones they sale at Costco and cost the equivalent of a month's salary, but, really, he loves this swing. Doesn't bother him a bit.

He still doesn't know how to swing himself, so I spend a lot of time outside pushing him. But now that he's taller, he can push off a little with his feet. It's not proper swinging, but he still gets the swinging motion from it and he likes that.


Our beloved trampoline. We used to practically live on this thing 4 years ago. I believe we got it at Walmart for about $250 + $100 for the net? I can't really remember. It was definitely worth the money.

Noah doesn't initiate going on it as much as he used to, but when I take him on it, he's all smiles and giggles.


This is the piece d' resistance. Our massage table that my parents snagged at a garage sale for about 15 bucks. They're all over Craigslist, though, so it shouldn't be hard to find one if you need one.

You can tell from the pic that it's in the living room. Basically, it's been everywhere. Our room, Noah's room, Noah's closet. But, I'm pretty much 100% an outta sight - outta mind girl. And if it's not right there in front of me then I won't use it. Which means our living room looks like an Occupational Therapist's dream. Everything is right smack dab in the living room. But, hey, I'm a lot more consistent now with doing Noah's therapies each day than before.

The last piece of equipment... which I forgot to take a picture of because the kids were fighting over it and Sim hid it... is a Bosu Ball.

You can get them at Walmart or Target for about $100, but they're a little cheaper on Amazon. Of course, you have to consider shipping. We got our ball for free from a friend. (Thank you! You know who you are!!)

You can use either side of it. Either side, though, works on your balance and balance activities are some of Noah's favorites.

I hope this gives you an idea of the things we think are essential for Noah's in home "program", so to speak. It took several years to get everything... we've had the trampoline for about 5 years now... and I'm a firm believer in giving gifts that can be used for therapy purposes. (The good thing is that my kids are so used to this that they don't know any different!)

There are a few things that I'd still like to get....an Ipad being the most important. Oh my gosh, have you read about all the apps out there for children with autism? There are some AMAZING reports about nonverbal children using Ipads for communication. I tell you, I have become obsessed with Noah getting one. I'm hoping for Christmas, but it will involve me getting off my rear and cleaning out the garage for a massive garage sale and putting some stuff on Ebay. The wheels are definitely spinning in my head. If you have one and use it for a child with autism, please let me know!

Next time, I'll do a post on some of Noah's favorite things... and things we can't live without. I do plan on doing a post about the exercises we do with Noah, but it'll involve my husband taking pictures... hopefully, he'll have this weekend off.

Have a great weekend!

Comments

Jessica said…
Hi :) you don't know me, but I just found your blog yesterday and I think I may have sat down and read the last ten pages of posts in one sitting. Which is an accomplishment with two kids under 2.
I actually wrote a post last night about it, and it comes no where close to doing you or other families like you any justice. I just wanted to share my thoughts with a few of my friends and family. But I wanted to let you know that what you are doing is inspirational, and has really changed my life. And that is the truth. I never considered adoption before, but now I am thinking about it more and more. I even visited that Reece's Rainbow site. Boy did that break my heart!
Anyway, I just wanted to drop by and leave you a little encouragement. I think you are doing an amazing job and keep up the good work. Your family is beautiful!
Recovering Noah said…
Hey Jessica! Thank you so much for stopping by. I read your blog post... wow! Thank you so much. Thank you for the sweet words and wishes... I think for the first time in my life I might be speechless. =) Please stop by anytime. It's great to meet you!

Leslie =)
S.T.S. said…
I so want to live right next door to you and all this fabulous equipment.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!