Nandi's Sweet New Ride

Nandi has been desperate to ride a bicycle ever since Ei learned to ride last summer. (His training wheels came off this past summer!) Anyway, Nandi tries and tries but she just can't keep her left leg on the pedal. A wonderful organization named AMBUCS donated a big wheel trike to Nandi last year that had foot plates with velco straps, but, unfortunately, it was too low to the ground for her to use her upper body to steer it. (Nandi has some balance issues, too, because her whole body is sort of thrown to her right side.)

But.... all that changed today when my parents stopped by a flea market in the little town next over and saw a Thistle Tri-lo. Oh my gosh.... these things are made in Glasgow. How it ended up in a small town in East Texas is beyond me. They brought it over this morning and Nandi LOVES it. It's perfect for her. And I'm going to get Noah on it during the day when she's in school and pedal with him hand over hand. He needs to build up the strength in his left hand.

Although they both have the same type of CP (left hemiplegia), it affects them differently. Noah walks kind of lopsided, but his foot is flat and he rarely uses his left hand and Nandi is completely on her toes (like a ballerina) but has good control of her hand. Sooooo cool that the bike will benefit both of them!

So here it is.... Nandi on her sweet new ride!


Comments

GB's Mom said…
Great ride!
This is so awesome.
Kelly said…
http://jessiekelley.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html

This is Jessie, she and her family live in Aledo. Jessie had the exact same brain surgery our daughter Abby (Blondie) had - leaving her with left side weakness. She went to a camp called Lose the training wheels - or something like that, and with a few modifications she is riding. Now, she could ride before surgery, but she is doing it with a LOT of weakness now.

GO NANDI.
Recovering Noah said…
Thanks! She's loving it! Rode it in our living room this morning. lol

Kelly, thanks for the blog link! Nandi will have surgery in November on her leg and, fingers crossed, be able to ride a regular bike by next summer. Even so, I think it'll take some time before the training wheels come off, so I'll have to check out the camp. Sounds awesome. Thanks!
Hannah_Rae said…
YAY! That looks like so much fun! I love all the different kinds of cycles out there. So cool! YAY for flea markets!

Blessings!

Hannah
Anonymous said…
I'm worn out just watching the video!! Cool bike though. I've never seen anything like it.Good job Nandi!!

Dreama
Anonymous said…
Hi Leslie! Your blog is beautiful and your children are precious. My name is Trish McLellan, and my dear friend Tammy, who has Come Together Trading Company at First Monday, gave me your link. I am not sure how else to contact you, so I am leaving you this long comment! :) We live in East Texas and have several special needs adopted children, and I would love to get together to share stories, have the kids play, etc. You can contact me at trishmac64@hotmail.com, or on facebook. I am so excited to hopefully meet you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!