What We've Decided About School This Year

Okay. So, um, we've decided to send Nandi & Eli to public school this year.

Eeek!

I know. I know. After all the belly-aching that I did last year and all the reasons I've listed about why Eli would do better being homeschooled and after all the WONDERFUL advice that ya'll gave me about homeschooling.... and I go and do this.

How many of you want to smack me upside the head right about now?

Oh man. It was a hard hard HARD decision. I mean, if I keep Eli home and put Nandi in school then I know without a doubt that her RAD would flare-up big time. And if I keep them both home then Noah would really suffer. Poor thing has already been ignored practically all summer long. It's easy to ignore him because he's so quiet (literally) and likes to stay in his room. And if I put Nandi & Eli both in school, then Noah would finally get the attention he needs (and maybe get potty-trained!) but Eli would have a miserable time.

How do you choose? How do you say, "Okay, this child is going to have to suffer so these two can be okay?"

So I ended up doing what was best for me. And that's to keep homeschooling Noah and let Nandi & Eli attend public school this year.

Deep breath. I know that must sound incredibly selfish. But I've really thought about it and prayed about it and stressed about it. Omigosh, have I stressed. And even though I never heard God tell me directly what to do (like He did with Noah), when we made the decision not to homeschool Nandi & Eli this year, it was like a huge relief came over me. Like all the weight of the world had finally dropped off.

And I felt free.

To tell you the truth, this summer hasn't been the greatest. I've been trying to homeschool the kids this summer to give it a trial run and we've all been miserable. Well, Nandi actually likes school. She wants to do it all the time and I think she'll do well in Kindergarten. I try not think about her older years because I'll start hyperventilating. But Kindergarten should be just fine.

But Eli... oh my word. I swear I have an ulcer. I mean it. I'm pretty darn sure.

I love him dearly, but we butt heads All. The. Time. And he's a manipulative little sucker. He doesn't act like this with his teacher or his daddy or his grandma or anyone else. But he gets around me and all of a sudden he forgets how to read, doesn't know how to erase an answer, holds books upside down, gets tired, has his arms start itching, gets hungry, you name it.

Anything to avoid doing school work.

Plus, he flat-out told me that he knows that eventually he'll get his way if he wears me down.

Do you see what I'm dealing with??

Anyway, the thing I've really had to come to terms with this summer is my emotional health. I feel things really deeply. Always have. And I was born with a super extra helping of good ol' Guilt. It permeates everything. I constantly feel guilty about something. Usually parenting. Sometimes about eating too much cheese. Never ever about hiding Reece's Pieces in the back of my drawer underneath my Shape magazines.

Oh, the irony.

But it's always there.

I also can get depressed and down very easily. I did have a couple of moments of utter darkness four years ago that I never ever want to revisit. And so, I think I really need to keep myself in a good mental shape. And I need to keep my kids in a good mental shape. And, truth me told, I can get worn-down and overwhelmed very easily and my biggest fear is that one day I'm going to snap and say something I'll regret. I need to protect my children and be their advocate. I don't want to be the one who loses her temper and destroys their self-esteem.

Does that make sense?

You know, the hardest part is coming to terms with the fact that you are who you are and you need to stop wishing you could be like everyone else. Man, I wish I could homeschool. And I know some of you might be saying, "But I didn't think I could, either! And I'm doing it. You CAN do it!" But, you know, I just don't feel called to do it right now. I do feel called to do it with Noah and it has NOTHING to do with me loving one child more than the other or thinking one child is more important than the other. I know without a doubt that God told me to homeschool Noah, but I haven't gotten that confirmation yet about Nandi & Eli. My gut tells me that it will happen someday, so maybe I'm okay with it right now because I know that public school won't be forever. But, for now, I feel pretty good about them going.

And, honestly, maybe I'm just a big nerd, but I'm getting excited about school starting. I love Meet the Teacher Night. And I love the notes that get sent home. And I love meeting other parents. It makes me feel like part of a community. And, yes, I actually look forward to those Scholastic Book Order Forms that come home in backpacks once a month. And I love the holiday parties. And the Talent Show.

I'm not going to lie. It's going to be hard. Really hard. Kindergarten was hard for Eli and I know First Grade will be even harder. Who knows... he may last the whole year or we may pull him out after the first month. But really, what helps me with this is knowing that I'm still going to be his mom.

Even though he'll be gone until 3:30 every day... I'm still going to be his mom. I'm still going to be his teacher. And the same with Nandi. I'm not going to stop being in their lives just because they're going to public school. Right now, I'm still the person they love more than anyone else in the world. And, yes, that will change as they get older... but that would change regardless of whether or not I homeschool them. It'll change because that's life and that's part of the growing up process.

So, anyway, I'm looking forward to the start of school. I feel confident that we're making the right decision (for the time being - ha!) and that this is what's best for me to be the kind of mom I desire to me... and that my kids desire me to be.... one that's calm, relaxed, happy, and caring. Hopefully, Stressed-out Screaming Mom will soon be a long faded memory.

And if there's a gambling pool going on about how long it takes me to write an "I Hate Public School" blog post... just keep it to yourself for the time being, 'kay? ;-)

P.S. And if there are any flames, please keep them light. It's hard to get out here and take the "I'm going to do what's best for me" approach. Sometimes, the "What's best for Mom approach" can also be what's best for the kids.

You know that saying. If Mom ain't happy..... ain't nobody happy!

Comments

Leanne said…
no flames here - I think your reasoning is solid and your plan is a good one.
And if things need tweaking down the road, well you have the freedom to do that too.
Kim said…
I would never flame you about doing what's best for your family - that includes YOU. Make peace with your decision, you can always change your mind if you ever feel differently, as is your right!

ps-I'm totally NOT cut out for homeschooling my ASD son. I am the one he PUSHES and he never works for me the way he works for the teachers and therapists in his life!
Kelly said…
Honey, get over the guilt. As a mom and a teacher it sounds like school is a much better deal than homeschooling Eli if he is intentionally trying to work around you. You never know.... this could be the year he figures it out, and gets out of the car without any problem. Maybe by September he'll be counting down the days until the weekend is over. You obviously put a lot of thought into your decision, so NO GUILT!
Recovering Noah said…
Thanks Lee (Hi Lee!!!), Kim, and Kelly. It feels so good to just get it all out. I know it's very obvious that I'm trying to persuade myself or everyone else that I'm making the right decision. lol. But I swear that 99% of the people I know homeschool and it seems that every single mommy blog out there (esp adoption blogs) is run by a homeschooling mom. Sometimes I think I'm the only Christian adoptive mom who who is sending her kids to public school. And then the guilt sets in and I wonder if something's wrong with me. Maybe I don't have enough faith and all. Ahhh, the guilt!

But I think God calls us to do different things. And I'm really trying to make peace with the fact that this is not what I'm called to do at the moment.

It's probably exhausting reading my blog lately... all the inner thoughts pouring out. Hopefully, I'll find my groove soon and get back to normal. If that's a good thing..?? lol
Anonymous said…
not sure if I can have a say or not(not being a mom and all), but I do think you made the right decision. I have reasons why but not to share here in the comments section ;-)
I think your reasoning is very sound. You have to take care of your kids mom before you can take care of your kids. If putting the two kids in school will help you to be a better mom to them when they're home then that's a good thing!

I, too, WISH I could be a homeschooling mom but it just isn't what I'm supposed to do. We tried and it didn't work with our oldest child (who is much like you described with Eli). My second son would probably do fine at home but he's very social and will love a school environment so we want to let him have that. So, the two of them are off to public school this year. I think we may end up homeschooling Sunshine (who has down syndrome as well as a bunch of other special needs). But, she still has several years before she'll be ready for any formal schooling. Right now we're just playing and learning and enjoying our time together. :)
Chantelle said…
Sounds like you've made the right decision for your family as a whole. Good job! :)
Chantelle said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantelle said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah_Rae said…
Oh, I am SO with you. I really want to homeschool...really really...but not Gabe and Jeremiah. Actually, Gabe would be very easy to homeschool, but doesn't want to. Jeremiah does the whole wear me down thing too, which he doesn't do for his teachers at school. He will be changing schools this year because he will be going to the school I am teaching at, and his teachers at his old school found out he was transferring, they said how much they would miss him. I was so excited to hear that they would MISS HIM!

We do the best we can do...and that's all we can do. :)

Blessings!

Hannah
sandwichinwi said…
HELL-OOOO! I have two in PS this year (and you KNOW why one of them is going!) Even though it broke my heart to see her go, PS has been great for RB and I'm at peace with it now. I even think it's brought us closer. She has really blossomed.

Sometimes too much mom is too much of a good thing. I think that with someone one else, too, but, well, you can help me cross that bridge when we come to it.

And keep in mind that there are many positive things that PS teachers (and others) can impart to our kids. It takes a village, you know!

You are a GREAT mom!!!

Blessings,
Sandwich
Recovering Noah said…
Faye, you tease! Do those reasons include that you've met me in person and I was an emotional wreck and it's in the best interest of the kids to have some emotional stability in their lives?? lol

Rachel, it looks like we have the same situation. And, yep, I've always heard that moms have to take care of themselves in order to be good moms and I always felt really selfish doing so... but it really, really, really is true.

Thanks, Chantelle. And with the bulk of the kids in public school, I'll have more time to catch up on your awesome blog! I admit... it will be nice to have a bit more free time.

Hannah.. I love that. We do the best we can do and that's all we can do. Great mantra!!

Sandwich, I can only imagine how hard it was to let RB go. But she's such an awesome and amazing kid... a really good testimony to homeschooling and then being successful in public school. And I'm sooooo glad I can talk to you about all this and you know EXACTLY what I'm going through. Yay!
I think you are making the right decision for whatever my opinion is worth. lol!!!

Lori P.
Keri said…
Ok, I came here to thank you for your comment on my blog ANd to tell you I felt the EXACT same way about the experience...I REALLY needed it...lol! but now I am here, after reading one post my you to say...HOW HAVE I NOT KNOWN ABOUT YOUR BLOG???


so, add one more son to be faithful reader to your followers:)

love & light to someone I can tell is a kindred spirit!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah bess said…
we're in the same boat in some ways, Leslie. I've just made the decision not to homeschool Shayna and Amira this year, too. They're all excited about this new school in town and that's what they want to do and I was super-torn and I know James is thinking, "School!" and God wasn't saying anything (or I wasn't hearing it anyway). Got on the treadmill the other day (!) and prayed for an answer, and then Laura came down and I talked to her for awhile about how bummed I was that no one could make this decision for me and that I was responsible for it and couldn't hear from God. She said, "Maybe some people can have a voice." She didn't have an opinion for me, but then that night, a homeschool advocate outspoken friend of mine who barely ever comes on facebook came on and chatted with me, and what she said was, "Don't feel guilty for not homeschooling. Do what you have the most peace about. Do what you know God's called you to do." I know God's called me to do SCH. I've *wanted* Him to call me to homeschool, but He never has.

If we mess this thing up, sis, there's always next year.

I've missed you. Sorry you've been depressed--I get that.
Marty Walden said…
We shouldn't judge each other for the decisions we make that are right for our family. If I hadn't had bio kids first before adopting I doubt I could ever homeschool my last 2. It's just too hard. Most days I beg God to let me quit. But it's part of the package for me and what I'm called to do. You have your own relationship with the Lord and no one can say what is best for you. Keeping your sanity and physical health is of utmost importance. Obedience to God is costly but has its rewards. Stay faithful to the task. You will be blessed.
Phyllis said…
It sounds like you are definitely making the right decision for you and your family. Hey, Kristen goes to public school, too. Not that I really have a choice, but even if I did I just can't see me homeschooling her. She drives me nuts just helping her with homework! Just kidding :) I really hope your kids do great at school and have a wonderful year.
marythemom said…
Of course saying, "Stop feeling guilty," is like telling someone to, "Stop thinking of pink elephants," but nonetheless, "Stop feeling guilty!!" This is not a black and white world. There is no wrong answer. Do the best you can and try to believe your best is good enough!

Mary in Guiltland (I banish thee!)
Wendy said…
Eli is going to do better with the teachers at school and then come home to a Mom he has not worn down all day. It's a win-win in my book. How has the vision therapy been going? He may make big strides in school as his vision issues resolve. Then again, he probably gives you just as much resistance to those as he does to school work. Hah!
TracyC said…
I can't flame? Dang nabbit! I never get to flame!

Seriously, it sounds like a good decision to me.

God may surprise you with a different option when the time is right. First, I never thought I'd homeschool. Then, I never thought I'd send my three oldest part time to a Christian school. Who knows what is next? I think it's circus school but it's hard saying. The one thing I can say is that I am so glad when away school starts again so I can have five minutes of quiet. Oh wait! Gigi will be home and she's too old to nap this year. Must invest in more Kipper videos.
Lisa H. said…
Just saw this post and it made me smile! Today I took my E and MG for their first day of school at our Christian school. I figured they'd end up there at some point, but wasn't quite ready for it yet.....but staying at home with a mean, frazzled mom wasn't exactly setting them up to rock the world for Jesus either! ;o) You know, "MG, what's 7+4? (Lucy! Stop standing on the table!" And P is going to public school full-time, to get some of the services he needs. And Lucy will do preschool 2 mornings.....Then I should be set to adopt again! ;o) (I'm joking, Brad, I'm joking!)


It must be that we're the Ying to Amy B's Yang, since she just started homeschooling! :o)

Lisa H.

Popular posts from this blog

The Answer to Noah's Shirt Chewing...

Acceptance and Moving Forward

Noah said, "I love you, Mom"!!!